TVHeadEnd for Synology ds411/414slim
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with loading TVHeadEnd on a Synology ds411slim or ds414slim. I'm a bit new to all this but it looks as though there is a package for Synology devices at https://synocommunity.com/packages - Tvheadend v3.4.27-6

If anyone has tried this out on slim device, can you comment on the performance and otherwise? I wanted to know what implications or limitations there are of running this especially on an ARM-based NAS. I just bought a Raspberry Pi B+ that I would like to use as an XBMC frontend and am considering getting a ds414slim and loading tvheadend on it for the backend pvr. I have an HDHR-US network-based tv tuner so am wondering if everything will work and be compatible.

My goal is to replace my current HTPC (Win 7 + WMC running on old AMD Athlon quad-core that is power-hungry) with a low-powered media center solution that doubles as NAS (raided) for backing up everything else.
Since tvheadend works on a Pi your Synology will most likely be fast enough to make it work. I can't comment on your choice of tuner, though I think it should work quite fine. Try getting tvheadend installed and then start scouring the forums for more detailed information if any further issues arise.
(2014-08-10, 10:09)negge Wrote: Since tvheadend works on a Pi your Synology will most likely be fast enough to make it work. I can't comment on your choice of tuner, though I think it should work quite fine. Try getting tvheadend installed and then start scouring the forums for more detailed information if any further issues arise.

Thanks! I've only installed OpenElec XBMC on the Pi but not tvheadend(?) Although I think I remember going through "add-ons" and seeing a tvheadend plugin and installing it...is that the same thing? Since then I've removed it though because I think I noticed a decrease in performance. It might have been from tvheadend or something else... I didn't take the time to thoroughly inspect performance with each individual add-on I selected (I chose multiple to add). I'm still debating and researching over the most appropriate NAS to get... the slims seem nice but long-term I'm not so sure.
Nah, the addo is the frontend in XBMC for the tvheadend backend.

Basically, the backend handles the reception, tuning, recording etc and the frontend selects the channel you want to watch, shows you the EPG, schedules recordings etc.

You need the backend running before starting the frontend addon, else it will keep complaining it has lost connection.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-08-11, 18:48)black_eagle Wrote: Nah, the addo is the frontend in XBMC for the tvheadend backend.

Basically, the backend handles the reception, tuning, recording etc and the frontend selects the channel you want to watch, shows you the EPG, schedules recordings etc.

You need the backend running before starting the frontend addon, else it will keep complaining it has lost connection.

Ah okay... makes sense. I just added the add-on but didn't try doing anything with it. I see there's an 'official' Synology add-on for tvheadend but wasn't sure how the performance is... I suppose it varies based on model and especially the processor/memory in the relevant unit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVHeadEnd for Synology ds411/414slim0