Bandwidth usage when streaming from remote site with OpenVPN
Don't know what i should answer to that question ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2014-08-11, 13:13)Memphiz Wrote: Don't know what i should answer to that question ...

Okey :-)

What do you think - should me/you/we report a bug ticket? Are there anything I could supply with? Or do you suggest anything else how to proceed?

Thanks a lot so far Memphiz!
Yes i suggested to try to increase the mtu size of the vpn device and you asked me if i think that that might help ... Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2014-08-11, 22:34)Memphiz Wrote: Yes i suggested to try to increase the mtu size of the vpn device and you asked me if i think that that might help ... Big Grin

Ok, I'll try that and see what happens. But I don't think it'll have any positive affect on performance, because my OpenVPN tunnel runs with UDP packages and encapsulate network packages that are transfered between the two sites. And with consideration to the distance and that OpenVPN runs with UDP would most likely increase the chance of more data that are corrupt and therefore would have to be retransmitted. In high performance LAN's increasing the MTU would most likely also increase the throughput. Running OpenVPN with TCP is just a waste - because encapsulate TCP packages in TCP would just create a lot more retransmission if package is corrupt. But I'll give it a try to increase udp-mtu. And sorry for my messy English!

I'll come back with results as soon as I've tested it. :-)
Your VPN uses UDP and can retransmit lost packets? How so? (i mean the purpose of UDP is fire and forget - beeing able to detect lost packets and retransmit them is basically what TCP does no? Or is there a special protocol on top of UDP which does the state awareness?)
(2014-08-12, 15:17)Memphiz Wrote: Your VPN uses UDP and can retransmit lost packets? How so? (i mean the purpose of UDP is fire and forget - beeing able to detect lost packets and retransmit them is basically what TCP does no? Or is there a special protocol on top of UDP which does the state awareness?)

You're correct. My site to site OpenVPN tunnel runs under UDP. So if there's a TCP package that's transfered from Site#1 to Site#2 it'll be transfered with UDP in the OpenVPN tunnel but TCP within the two LAN's. Hard to explain for me in words, but just follow this sequence:
Site#1 --> OpenVPN#1 --> WAN --> OpenVPN#2 --> Site#2

What happens in the sequence:
TCP package --> Encapsulated to UDP and encrypted --> Transfered through the internet --> Decrypted and unpacked --> TCP package

So therefore can any host retransmit a TCP package. The VPN tunnel transfer those TCP packages encapsulated within a UDP package.

Sorry for my bad explanation, but I hope that you get it? :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bandwidth usage when streaming from remote site with OpenVPN0