On Thecus Library is not updated and player quolity is not very good
Dear All,

I am new here, I have tried to solve my problem by reading your forum and just by google it but I didnt find an answer.

I am using Thecus N5550 with last update of XBMC 13.1

When I first time install XBMC everything was perfect, it automatically updated all database of all movies. But one day I start getting message
"Unable to connect to remote server" I dont remember after what i start to get this message but now when I am adding any new movie scanning will not work...

I saw that I need to generate some log file, but cannot find how to do it!

I tried to follow http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file/Easy but in Get more... I have no options at all...so I cannot do any step next.

Please help me how to proceed and what to do? I guess there is some problem to connect to internet, but I cannot understand why?

The second problem I expect is bad quality of Media player itself, basically in any movie I am watching (not depend the bitrate of the stream) time to time the codec crashing, lots of square appears basically in hard scenes with lots of action, like it would not enough the power of Thecus, but the picture it self is not freezing,

In System Summary I can see that the average CPU load is around 3-5%, memory used 48%, and screen resolution 1920x1080@24 with 30-35fps, never go below 24fps, but time to time can reach 55fps. But when I watching the same movie directly from my TV with TV player via Twonky from the same Thecus I do not expect any pixel drop, the picture is best possible. Do you know what could be reason here? Or maybe XBMC player is not so good itself?

Thank you for your help,
I suspect that the player hardware on the thecus is crap. Buy a nuc and be done with it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sounds like XBMC isn't seeing the internet connection. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the specs on the NAS itself. I'm not sure what to suggest. I see you've also posted about this on their forum, which is good as they are probably using their own build for their specific modified linux OS.
thans, for your reply.

Yes I have asked on thecus web page and sent a mail to thecus support, thecus is using special build of XBMC.

What I need to do to check an internet connection of XBMC? The NAS itself has internet connection, other NAS applications that need Internet working without problems. Maybe I need to open or forward some ports for XBMC?

Regarding NAS hardware in my eyes it should be ok as it has
Intel® Atom™ Processor D2550 (1.86GHz Dual Core)
2GB DDR3 (I can add 2GB more if you think it could help?)
NAS configured in RAID 5
xbmc scaping uses standard outgoing ports.

You don't say anything about the graphics capabilities. Atom processors are generally pretty light in graphics capabilties (unless coupled with ION or some other decent graphics hardware)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I cannot find any information about graphics capabilities on http://www.thecus.com/product.php?PROD_ID=76
just forget it: Intel® Atom™ Processor D2550 (1.86GHz Dual Core)

the powervr gpu has no decent linux support (http://ark.intel.com/de/products/65470/I...e-1_86-GHz)

And the cpu is too slow to do sw decoding.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I see, but for now I need to find a way to connect xbmc to the internet, and after to optimize the performance
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128229

I see that in the case above helped to turn off the proxy, but I have no Network in Setting menu, how can I turn off the proxy?
I have found how to turn of proxy, but it didnt help, any other ideas?
by the way in system > System info >network it written Internet: Not Connected. Check network settings
I solve the problem by changing DNS settings in my NAS, to 8.8.8.8 so it start to work.

Regarding picture quality, I tryed to software rendering, but in this case HD is working only 10fps, in Hardware rendering fps is ok, but codec is not very stable.... Will try to tweak NAS somehow...
nothing to tweak, the cpu is too slow for software rendering(besides SD), the GPU is utter crap without driver support for hw acceleration.

You'll bet much better results with even an Raspberry PI, while keeping the NAS for storage
For this case I do not need any additional hardware, as my TV is playing mostly all formats I have in HD and NAS is acting like storage. But I wanted to have XBMC, and I have bought this NAS as it was claimed by manufacture that it can be the media center....
And it can, just not a very good one!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
On Thecus Library is not updated and player quolity is not very good0