local PVR or remote?
Hi all,
I've always had my PVR backend on the same machine as my main XBMC box.... however in my new house the aerial / satellite is in a different room... I've set up the PVR backend on a separate box now in that room and watch over the network.... is there a preferred way to go? Is there a benefit to having the PVR stuff running separately?

Cheers for any input.
Well my server which runs my backend is big and noisy, whereas my playback devices are small and quiet, so separating them makes sense to me.

As long as you have wired networking you'll have no difficulty.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Wired indeed - so that's good to know that there should be no probs...
Is your server set to be on 24/7Huh My backend server currently sets itself to turn off after a couple of hours of no activitity - which is then a pain when using a client to watch TV as I have to go to a different room and press a key to wake it up. Ideally I don't want it on 24/7 though - could it be set to wake up using WOL when a request from the client is made?

Thanks again,
In windows media centre environment I don't know. It is certainly doable with mythtv.

But I don't do that. My server does lots of stuff. Serving media, recording TV, downloading with rtorrent, sickbeard and couchpotato, other shit I can't even think of. I just let it run. Current uptime is 36 days, but before that it was about 100 days.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think the PVR system in XBMC supports wake on LAN but I haven't tried it myself. In any case you'd be waiting for quite a while before it comes up and starts serving channels so the experience wouldn't be optimal.
With the MINIX box.. Is using a USB tuner acceptable as a backend for the PVR feature?
Isn't the minix android? There are no android back ends.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
local PVR or remote?0