automatic reboot
Having problems with my rpi/openelec. It keeps rebooting during library scan, which I assume is related to overheat or other over-xxx?

This was not an issue before, so I am trying to isolate what I have done:

1) Upgrade from 4.0.0 to 4.1.6 (and thus from Gotham stable to Gotham 13.2 beta 3)

2) Overclocked with config.txt (which I reversed, so this should not be the issue)

3) Created a smart playlist, which I pinned to the home menu

Any advice appreciated! What log file may be helpful for troubleshooting?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Try changing the PSU as a start.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I'm also experiencing (spontaneous) reboots of XBMC during a library scan. My library contains almost 70.000 songs and most of them scan nicely. Some flac files just won't scan into the library. I tried to figure out what is wrong with these particular files, but have not been able to till now. The test file "01 - Tom Sawyer.flac" will not play either. If I go into the folder that contains only this file, XBMC reboots. Foobar on my PC plays the file nicely.

I'm using OpenElec 4.1.3 at the moment, but also had this problem with other versions e.g. the Milhouse builds. I also used multiple PSUs, but that did not resolve the problem.

Log file is here. This log is taken directly from XBMC using putty as the logfiles on the smb share are not updated when the scanning problem occurs.

Any help is much appreciated.
@steve1977
A crash (not a reboot - but xbmc will relaunch) when scanning issue was fixed recently
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=15235
Latest Milhouse builds contain the fix, so might be worth testing.

@Hypertown
Try disabling "enable tag reading" in settings/music/file lists
Any different?
If you can have a sample file that causes a crash can you upload it (e.g. to dropbox or google drive) and send me the link and I'll investigate.
In OE 4.1.3 switching off tag reading did not fix the issue.

I did a few tests with the latest Milhouse build (809b). After a few tries. with crashes in between, I managed to get the flac file scanned into the library. However, when I now click on the recently added album on the "home screen" of the confluence skin, Kodi immediately crashes and restarts. I will upload the file to google drive as soon as it lets me and send you the link.

Thanks!
(2014-08-10, 17:52)Hypertown Wrote: I did a few tests with the latest Milhouse build (809b). After a few tries. with crashes in between, I managed to get the flac file scanned into the library. However, when I now click on the recently added album on the "home screen" of the confluence skin, Kodi immediately crashes and restarts. I will upload the file to google drive as soon as it lets me and send you the link.

Unfortunately I've not reproduced the issue.
The file scanned into the library. I can view it and play it in library view (with artwork). It also plays from the "recently added albums" on confluence home screen.

Can you try renaming directory .xbmc (e.g. to .xbmc_back), and restart.
You now have default settings and no addons. If you add the directory containing that file to music and scan it, do you still get the crash?
I renamed the directory as you indicated, restarted, and disabled tag reading and searching for thumbnails in the folder. XBMC still crashes unfortunately. Just to be sure I also tried it with a 2A PSU, but still no luck. Do you have any other suggestions?
(2014-08-10, 15:19)popcornmix Wrote: @steve1977
A crash (not a reboot - but xbmc will relaunch) when scanning issue was fixed recently

You are right, it is not a reboot of openelec, but "just" a crash with XBMC relauncing. This will interrupt the scanning process and was triggered by library scan.

I would prefer to stay with the openelec official betas. Any hope that this fix will be implemented soon?

Also, any ideas on my issue with library scans taking literally days (see my other thread)?

Thanks!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
(2014-08-11, 02:38)steve1977 Wrote:
(2014-08-10, 15:19)popcornmix Wrote: @steve1977

Quick follow-up. Will the next official beta or stable openelec release include the fix? I am not up for Helix yet, but this reboot bug is very annoying... Thanks for your help!
(2014-08-11, 17:41)steve1977 Wrote: Quick follow-up. Will the next official beta or stable openelec release include the fix? I am not up for Helix yet, but this reboot bug is very annoying... Thanks for your help!

Should be. It's been merged to master and has the "gotham" tag, so should be merged to gotham branch.
It's also on gotham_rbp_backports branch which is used by openelec and raspbmc, so should be in next gotham builds either way.
As original image that caused the bug to be discovered, I've found a similar one (which causes xbmc restarts).

My xbmc restarts in a loop b/c Movies is set as a default screen in AeonNox and on that screen Recently Added are being shown (so, immediately, when the problematic image is accessed, and it's the first one, xbmc crashes and the same scenario repeats idefinitely).

Thanks for the quick fix. Hopefully, the version containing it will be released soon.
Wink 
Hello there,

I have RASPBMC and my system reboots also regurlarly.

All (automatic) updates of RASPBMC are off. But when I power on the RPI and I start a movie (during scan of video library, no music), the whole system starts to reboot, not just XBMC but RASPBMC as well. All settings of XBMC are gone and I have to setup my XBMC all over again....and again....
Very annoying for the misses and me ;-) Any thoughts??

Regards,
Robin
A complete reboot during scan (or something else that will use a lot of CPU) is most certainly a power issue.

All settings gone? Are you on an old version with f2fs file system perhaps?
If so I recommend a fresh install.
(2014-08-13, 14:13)Saran Wrote: As original image that caused the bug to be discovered, I've found a similar one (which causes xbmc restarts).

My xbmc restarts in a loop b/c Movies is set as a default screen in AeonNox and on that screen Recently Added are being shown (so, immediately, when the problematic image is accessed, and it's the first one, xbmc crashes and the same scenario repeats idefinitely).

Thanks for the quick fix. Hopefully, the version containing it will be released soon.

Raspbmc released today (19.08.2014) with XBMC 13.2 fixes the above described issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
automatic reboot0