• 2(current)
[Annoucement][AFTV] SPMC (XBMC spinoff) published in Amazon Appstore
Great news thank you koying.
So whats missing from it that they allowed it to get into the app store? I thought the reason XBMC was never in any app stores is because of the DD and DTS stuff as well as some other things that there aren't licenses for? I too don't see it showing up for the firetv but once thats fixed, good job!
Awesome news, waiting for this to get compatible with fire tv in amazon store.
I use the XBMC Launcher exclusively and recently entered into Amazon Fire TV Launcher and just realized that SPMC is accessable from the home screen after installing from the Google Play Store. This will be great for people who do not want to root the device and have direct access to XBMC (Kodi) once Amazon allows its implementation on the Fire TV.

Any word from Amazon about Fire Tv compatibility?
(2014-08-11, 16:36)MrMichaelJames Wrote: So whats missing from it that they allowed it to get into the app store? I thought the reason XBMC was never in any app stores is because of the DD and DTS stuff as well as some other things that there aren't licenses for? I too don't see it showing up for the firetv but once thats fixed, good job!

There's two big reasons, one was the name change where we didn't want to submit something called XBMC when we knew we had a rename that was going to happen soon (at the time it was "soon"). The other was the DD and DTS software decoding. One of the reasons for SPMC to be on Google Play and the Amazon Appstore is to see if those companies notice and try to get SPMC removed.

It's also possible that this concern doesn't apply to the Amazon Appstore, which is only meant to work on Amazon devices. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe Amazon already pays a license for DD and DTS, which would cover other software that also decodes DD and DTS. Some normal Android devices do this as well, but Google still complied with takedown requests on Google Play for several video players in the past over this issue.
(2014-08-12, 02:30)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-08-11, 16:36)MrMichaelJames Wrote: So whats missing from it that they allowed it to get into the app store? I thought the reason XBMC was never in any app stores is because of the DD and DTS stuff as well as some other things that there aren't licenses for? I too don't see it showing up for the firetv but once thats fixed, good job!

There's two big reasons, one was the name change where we didn't want to submit something called XBMC when we knew we had a rename that was going to happen soon (at the time it was "soon"). The other was the DD and DTS software decoding. One of the reasons for SPMC to be on Google Play and the Amazon Appstore is to see if those companies notice and try to get SPMC removed.

It's also possible that this concern doesn't apply to the Amazon Appstore, which is only meant to work on Amazon devices. I'm not 100% certain on this, but I believe Amazon already pays a license for DD and DTS, which would cover other software that also decodes DD and DTS. Some normal Android devices do this as well, but Google still complied with takedown requests on Google Play for several video players in the past over this issue.

Don't where you got the idea that Amazon App Store is for Amazon devices only as it's been available as a full Android app store usable on any Android device since before Amazon had any Android devices Huh
Indeed. It's the other way around.
The only reason to bother with the Amazon Appstore is that they don't provide access to the Google play store on their devices, but all non-amazon android devices can install and use it.

[EDIT]
I retract the "only reason". The fact that the amz store can be installed standalone is a plus for:
- Devices which are not G approved
- Users who don't want to drag the whole G stuff (and want some anonymity Wink )

[EDIT2]
Thinking of it, it's quite comical that AFTV users, for now, can use a sideloaded G store to have SPMC on their device but not the amz one Smile
Aaaah, gotcha. Well, it will be interesting then to see if Amazon does anything either.
Someone in a different forum said it is A31 compatible. Is it true?
As far as A31 supports libstagefright/mediacodec, yes.
I see in the amazon dev forum that they responded to you, basically saying you need to email them instead of communicating in the forum. Any progress on this?
@MrMichaelJames If there are news, be sure I'll post about it. No need to ask...
Obviously, yes, I contacted them via their "Contact Us" form, and no, no news, yet.
(2014-08-10, 18:18)sams0n Wrote: says it isn't compatible. i dont think you can install it unless it lists it as being compatible with fire tv.

Has anyone tried to install it with the 1 click? I did the 1 click and it warned me that it might not work, but is now in my cloud ready to install. So it says. When I get home tonight will confirm.
(2014-08-12, 20:33)Tight_wad Wrote:
(2014-08-10, 18:18)sams0n Wrote: says it isn't compatible. i dont think you can install it unless it lists it as being compatible with fire tv.

Has anyone tried to install it with the 1 click? I did the 1 click and it warned me that it might not work, but is now in my cloud ready to install. So it says. When I get home tonight will confirm.

One click doesn't do anything nothing installed. Being in the Amazon store would be awesome for FireTV owners. Hopefully it can replace launcher on FTV too.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Annoucement][AFTV] SPMC (XBMC spinoff) published in Amazon Appstore5