Android Path Substitution on android xbmc
Hi,

I have some problems with the "path substitution" setting in my android device.

First of all: i have a minix x8-h with "xbmc minix version" and the official XBMC version.. both installed and i have been using xbmc for windows for almost a year with pathsubstitution working well on all my windows devices.

Well, when i set something like this:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
     <substitute>
      <from>special://Thumbnails/</from>
      <to>nfs://192.xxx.xxxx.xxx/volume1/TEST/Thumbnails/</to>
     </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

in xbmc.log i get no error or warning so the change is done..

But it doesn't work, later in xbmc.log i found lines like this:

Code:
INFO: CNFSFile::Open: Unable to open file : 'volume1/TEST/Thumbnails/3/3b949345.jpg'  error : 'open call failed with "NFS: Lookup of //Thumbnails failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)"'

Seems to me it is like the path was in someway "truncated" and the "192.168.xxx.xxx" was lost for "volume1.."

What do you think?

Also, when setting this path substitution.. in my aeon MQ5 all the custom background Themes in main windows disappears. I dont know why

I also went to the "file manager" in xbmc and add the path to my sources.xml and within filemanager i can access without problem to the "thumbnails" folder.

Finally i have updated the "pathsubstitution" to a "local" folder into the same android device so maybe i could work..

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
     <substitute>
      <to>/storage/emulated/0/Thumbnails/</to>
     </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

This neither works, when scanning library doesn't show movies posters and the main window shows some bacgrounds.. but a lot of them remains on black..

I don't know what is happening here, the paths i used on the <to> tag are copied directly from the sources.xml file so i can forget any mistakes made in writing them by myself..

Any idea will be welcomed, thanks in advance..

When i found some "acceptable" solution i will comment on here.

(all of this was in the official xbmc release for android)
(the minix edition has a similar behaviour which forced me to install xbmc official)
hi,

nobody can help?..

Seems everybody can use pathsubstitution..

Maybe i am makin some mistake into the <to> tags?..

I wonder if i have to mount or make something special in android to be able using this setting..

anyone who has in an android a working pathsubstitution can write some example of advancedsettings.xml who worked for him?

I really need to set up this.. and get this android working..

I cant use the NAS thumbnails database but i cant change the thumbnails even in the android device itself..

I think i am making some kind of mistake because its my first android device to setup with xbmc..

Any idea ?

thanks.
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when XBMC starts up? That might give us some clues, like if XBMC can't write to that folder, or if the advancedsettings.xml file is being read correctly.
(2014-08-16, 22:41)exyron Wrote: ...
anyone who has in an android a working pathsubstitution can write some example of advancedsettings.xml who worked for him?

This works for me on an X8-H to store the thumbnails on an external sd card:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
        <from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/hk.minix.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
        <to>/storage/external_storage/sdcard1/xbmc/Thumbnails/</to>
    </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

I used airdroid to create the xbmc/Thumbnails directories on the sd card although I doubt that matters.

Hope it helps.
HI, when i use this:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
     <substitute>
      <to>/storage/emulated/0/Thumbnails/</to>
     </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

i got this xmbc.log: Xbmclogs pastebin

if i set this:
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
     <substitute>
      <to>nfs://192.168.1.161/volume1/TEST/Thumbnails/</to>
     </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

ill get this: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=271607

The first example is a LOCAL change into the minix x8-h.. and the second was trying to access the NAS in LAN..

I cant do nothing..

hope it helps..
thanks.
The local example seems to be working according to the log. XBMC is able to open thumbs from the substituted location. The NFS example seems to be having some NFS error, but I don't know why.

Code:
23:01:29 T:1847766440    INFO: CNFSFile::Open: Unable to open file : 'volume1/TEST/Thumbnails/3/3b949345.jpg'  error : 'open call failed with "NFS: Lookup of //Thumbnails failed with NFS3ERR_NOENT(-2)"'

Which means no such file or directory. This could just mean that you need to recache the thumbnails and that hasn't happened yet. You can force the recaching of thumbnails by going into the userdata folder (wiki) and then into Database and deleting the textures.db files.
Thank you!..

The problem is that neither of both config makes thumbnails visible..

i thought maybe was only the nfs.. but i can't do anything working in local mode too.. When i place that file that as you say should work.. even the aeon mq5 skin stops showing my custom themes..

(I don' know why but the default skin "reddish" works perfect in any case) but when you sets.. the "<path substitution>".. it doesnt work.. and the skin shows backgrounds in black.

I am also revising the NFS permissions so maybe i can get something..

I will keep testing.. but unfortunately i couldn't get any (local/network) pathsubstitution that works.

thanks again.
NFS probably doesn't work because of a permissions issue. Unless you have specified in the share that anyone can connect to it, it will expect that the UID connecting (android in this case), is a valid user on your NAS. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS...from_Linux
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thank you.. i will soon share more testings.. lately days i am very busy so i cant touch it.. but i will keep you posted.

I am also testing in depth the synology NFS permissions too..
Path substitution of thumbnails for the purposes of sharing between multiple clients is NOT a supported or recommended solution, and will result in problems.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Code:
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
            <to>smb://ip address/Data/Thumbnails</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
It should be special://profile/Thumbnails/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Path Substitution on android xbmc0