Video stutters/stops
First of all, it should be here somewhere but I just don't seem to be able to find a way to get it working...

After another Pi-project (Heatermeter for my BBQ) someone pointed me to XMBC so I bought another Pi and got going. Installed XMBC 13.1 and it all worked fine until I tried to play a video. It seems to stutter at the beginning, the best it does is play for about a minute and then it stops.

I've had a look at gpu_mem, changed it but no result. Basically all is still standard and the only thing I haven't tried is overclocking. Is that the first thing to try or am I just missing something as obvious as "press play on tape"?

If my problems are already discussed and solved in another thread please let me know where (or what search keys to use), I'm a forum moderator for some other sites and know how stupid asking for the obvious can be... Blush

BTW: If the logfiles can help, I've added them to one of my sites.
Lots of network related errors in log:
Code:
00:00:59 T:2858755152   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Couldn't resolve host name(6)
00:00:59 T:2858755152   ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Connect, didn't get any data from stream.

Also lots of these:
Code:
[   56.227292] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 15 in queue 2
[   56.228606] ieee80211 phy0: rt2800usb_entry_txstatus_timeout: Warning - TX status timeout for entry 15 in queue 2

Looks like you are using a Ralink wifi adapter. First test, can you remove that and try playing video using the ethernet socket?

Network/USB issues are often a symptom of an inadequate power supply. See:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#T...r_problems
Then I think I should first look at the power supply (been using the charger for my Samsung SIII) as I don't use the wifi for the video. I've tried to get them from the SD card and from a USB hard drive. The usb hard drive has it's own power supply btw.

Just tested without the wifi (it's a logilink dongle), same result. It looks like a buffering issue, when it starts to stutter I go back a bit and them it plays a bit longer before it starts again. Looking into that now ;-)
I've seem to have made a step forward, I've found some info on the video cache in advancedsettings.xml. Still not 100% sure how that works but once I've started the film and went back a bit it seems to keep playing for a longer time.

All in all it looks as if the USB transfer isn't fast enough to keep up with the movie. Can that be explained by the fact that I'm not using a powered USB hub? Even if the HD has it's own power supply?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video stutters/stops0