How to store files??????? blue-ray vs external vs second server
Hey, basically I have an Unraid Server with about 8-10TB of storage. Its now getting filled up.
I want to archive some of this data, such as old episodes of TV shows and be able to plug+play or insert a disc if I ever want to revisit them.

Which storage options would be best?

1. Blu-Ray Drive - burn episodes and shows to Blu-Rays as Data then insert the disc in whenever I want to play
2. USB Flash drives
3. External HDDs
4. Second Server
5. Expand server
6. Build a new server, insert old drives

I would rather extend/expand my server. Its still on unraid 4.7 but I'm unsure if all my drive slots are now used up or not. the specs are:
Fractal R3, Corsair 500w, AMD CPU Athlon II 250, Asrock 880GM-LE, 4GB Ram,
5x Hitachi 2TB (1 parity, 4 storage)
1x Maxtor 250GB cache

Which is the cheapest and probably easiest means of archiving my data? I'm not very good with hardware. My dad fits the drives and said as far as he can remember, no more can fit in. Is he wrong or have I used up all my slots?
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
Update unraid to v5.0.5 or the new v6b6 and expand you array
I upgraded just now to v5.0.5

according to my unraid page, i have 1 space for a drive left.

i don't know whether to buy a 2TB or a 3TB. If I buy a 3TB... it becomes the parity so I don't get to use the data anyway. However, I guess I can switch it later for more 3TBs... although by the time I do that.. I'm guessing 4TBs will have dropped in price!!
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
Buy 2 4Tb disks.
Hiiii you to
(2014-08-11, 12:55)CaptainPsycho Wrote: Buy 2 4Tb disks.
(2014-08-11, 05:17)aoaaron Wrote: I upgraded just now to v5.0.5

according to my unraid page, i have 1 space for a drive left.

i don't know whether to buy a 2TB or a 3TB. If I buy a 3TB... it becomes the parity so I don't get to use the data anyway. However, I guess I can switch it later for more 3TBs... although by the time I do that.. I'm guessing 4TBs will have dropped in price!!

(2014-08-10, 23:52)sgibbers17 Wrote: Update unraid to v5.0.5 or the new v6b6 and expand you array

(2014-08-10, 23:17)aoaaron Wrote: Hey, basically I have an Unraid Server with about 8-10TB of storage. Its now getting filled up.
I want to archive some of this data, such as old episodes of TV shows and be able to plug+play or insert a disc if I ever want to revisit them.

Which storage options would be best?

1. Blu-Ray Drive - burn episodes and shows to Blu-Rays as Data then insert the disc in whenever I want to play
2. USB Flash drives
3. External HDDs
4. Second Server
5. Expand server
6. Build a new server, insert old drives

I would rather extend/expand my server. Its still on unraid 4.7 but I'm unsure if all my drive slots are now used up or not. the specs are:
Fractal R3, Corsair 500w, AMD CPU Athlon II 250, Asrock 880GM-LE, 4GB Ram,
5x Hitachi 2TB (1 parity, 4 storage)
1x Maxtor 250GB cache

Which is the cheapest and probably easiest means of archiving my data? I'm not very good with hardware. My dad fits the drives and said as far as he can remember, no more can fit in. Is he wrong or have I used up all my slots?

Big GrinBig Grin:exclamation:ShySadShy[URL]Image[/URL]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to store files??????? blue-ray vs external vs second server0