Cloning Openelec installation for use on multiple pis
Hey guys, Just got my openelec 4 set up and running beautifully on my pi model B. It's an install with the OS on the SD and the /storage on a USB3 for speed and greater caching space.

I've just bought 2x Model B+ for the other tv's in my house, and I was wondering if there's an easy way to clone the entire setup and just change the host name and IP and then plug and play.

When they arrive I was just going to clone both discs with win32 disk imager and then change the appropriate settings before connecting to the network.

What potential issues would this cause, and are there workarounds? Or just a better way to go about it?

Thanks in advance for the time and help.

B
If your network uses DHCP you will probably get a new IP address anyway because the MAC address of the different Pi units are different...
Bo Berglund
Sweden
(2014-08-11, 09:31)Bunkum Wrote: Hey guys, Just got my openelec 4 set up and running beautifully on my pi model B. It's an install with the OS on the SD and the /storage on a USB3 for speed and greater caching space.

I've just bought 2x Model B+ for the other tv's in my house, and I was wondering if there's an easy way to clone the entire setup and just change the host name and IP and then plug and play.

When they arrive I was just going to clone both discs with win32 disk imager and then change the appropriate settings before connecting to the network.

What potential issues would this cause, and are there workarounds? Or just a better way to go about it?

Thanks in advance for the time and help.

B

Ive got the b+ model with noobs card running openelec , how do I setup storage on USB3 for better caching, at the mo I am just off noobs card?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._USB_drive
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-08-11, 10:36)black_eagle Wrote: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._USB_drive

Thanks. Do I have to go through the whole process or can skip to the usb part, I already have my setup running off the noobs card but want to use storage on the USB.
Does this make a huge difference or should I leave it.
Looking at the guide, I think probably you are better off following it all, as your current setup has /Storage on the SD card and this may confuse things.

From what I have read, it doesn't seem to make that much difference. Certainly from my point of view, my HTPC does all the scraping and the Pi connects to a shared MySQL instance, so after using the texturecache utility to cache all my art on the Pi, I think it's as fast as it's gonna be. WiFi and an IR receiver preclude me using a USB drive anyway.

@Bunkum, sorry for the hi-jack. I think straight cloning of the card would be fine.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-08-11, 11:20)black_eagle Wrote: Looking at the guide, I think probably you are better off following it all, as your current setup has /Storage on the SD card and this may confuse things.

From what I have read, it doesn't seem to make that much difference. Certainly from my point of view, my HTPC does all the scraping and the Pi connects to a shared MySQL instance, so after using the texturecache utility to cache all my art on the Pi, I think it's as fast as it's gonna be. WiFi and an IR receiver preclude me using a USB drive anyway.

@Bunkum, sorry for the hi-jack. I think straight cloning of the card would be fine.

Thanks I will see how I get on, on another note I overclocked it with these values but when ever I go in and check it first say 1000mhz then goes back to 700mhz?

these are the setting I used:

arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

# set to 'force_turbo=1' to disable dynamic overclocking (you can lose your warranty!)
force_turbo=0
So, Sorry just to confirm, If I clone my SD and my USB and then remove my MPG and VC licenses and reset my network settings (i use static IP's), it should work ok?
Should I install texturecache first and then clone it with all the artwork cached locally?
Cheers
Josh
(2014-08-12, 01:14)Bunkum Wrote: So, Sorry just to confirm, If I clone my SD and my USB and then remove my MPG and VC licenses and reset my network settings (i use static IP's), it should work ok?
Should I install texturecache first and then clone it with all the artwork cached locally?

You can specify more than one codec license. E.g.
Code:
decode_MPG2=0x11111111,0x22222222,0x33333333,0x444444444

so you can include all licenses in original image, and the codecs should work on all your pi's.

Running texturecache on original and then cloning should work fine.
Thanks PCM.
Aren't the codec licenses attached to the Pi's serial number or something?
Cheers
(2014-08-12, 01:14)Bunkum Wrote: ... and then remove my MPG and VC licenses...

Just an FYI that you can put multiple license keys on a line (comma separated; up to 10, I believe) and your pi will grab the one for it.
Ahhh I get it now, Thanks.
I have the same setup. Use windiskimage32 to make copies of the SD card and don't hardcode the network settings, the PI's will have IP's assigned from your router.
I'm using one of the PI's as a server, I have mysql installed and pathsubstitution so everything is synced like favourites, resume etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cloning Openelec installation for use on multiple pis0