VAAPI/GL/Fedora Intel chip issue
Hi, XBMC team and experts

We are struggling to play H.264/720P/mkv files with expected quality in XBMC. The version is Frodo 12.3 on Fedora16 with intel chip(N2600).

After we build and enable VAAPI in UI, playing the movie makes the XBMC UI fall in stuck and only audio is available, mouse/keyboard control is not available. The only way to exit is the kill command in terminal. With disabling VAAPI, just unsyced video/audio but no stuck issue.

The VAAPI itself seems to have no problem because we tested the movie using ffplay with VAAPI and ffmpeg module in the XBMC on same box.
And the movie is played very well in VLC with enabling VAAPI in same box.

I found several old threads asking fix or solution for these similar issues in this forum. Is there any fixed version for build or guide to resolve it for ourselves?

thanks
Try OpenELEC ... www.openelec.tv - fedora is patching xbmc - we cannot support their libav mess.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
And before I forget it: 12.3 is out of support - upgrade to version 13.1 Gotham.

For further help consider posting a Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi,

Because ,at the time of problem, the XBMC UI falls in stuck, I cannot use the XBMC log uploader. So I'm linking my dropbox link for those logs from gotham build.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l9fs5mbv1mbds...ly_noX.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7pwc0nc12jjay...o_only.log

thanks
Logan
Nice you really got that powervr shit working :-) on a 3.1 kernel :-) - nearly never seen that "last big failure by intel" running.

The only thing I see in the log is that the Render cannot catch up or the decoder is too slow for rendering. Try to put your display to 1280x720 in order to not need to upscale (with your sample 29.97 fps might be too much for powervr) xor play a h264 full hd sample with not so much bitrate (don't change res in that case), for example that one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...lannad.mkv

PowerVR was a great pain back at the time when someone even tried to support it.
Hi fritsch,

I tried my file after changing the display to 1280X720. And also tried your animation file with both case 1920X1080 and 1280x720.
But result is same as I already reported.

And I also tried VLC with VAAPI, the animation file was played beautifully.

FYI, 1920x1080@60 is default resolution of my box. And VLC plays well with the PowerVR.. I understand there are lot of bad reputation on PowerVr.

But I really ask you team's help : ) Any good solution or patch available? Please let me know if you need any more test or logs.

thanks
The problem here is that xbmc needs two things: hw decoding (that you have) but also OpenGL rendering - so two times load pressure onto the GPU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI/GL/Fedora Intel chip issue0