Gotham 13.2 - Subtitles on more than one line cause hard crash
This has been driving me crazy every time a new Gotham version releases and it's difficult to believe no one else has experienced this.

On Gotham, when subtitles are turned on, subs that end up more than one line seem to reliably and consistently cause a (very) hard crash on my setup. The video will freeze completely, audio will continue for about 5 seconds and stop, and I cannot do anything except reboot the system manually. I cannot switch to the ubuntu text terminal (ctrl-alt-f1), and nothing on the system seems to respond.

I have been testing this off and on since the early Gotham releases and every version has the same issue. The latest version I tested was 13.2~git20140802.1103-beta3-0trusty. I am currently running 2:12.3+dfsg1-3ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 14.04.1 with the latest updates on kernel 3.13.11-03131102-generic. I have an AMD A10 7850K, running on the latest AMD proprietary drivers (14.6 Beta) but I tried a number of different revisions over the last few months. Vertical blank sync is turned on (always) in XBMC and the Catalyst CP.

I have heard and read a few things here and there that have me believing some people are running the AMD A10 7850k using a different set of open drivers (Gallium3D or something? RadeonSI?) but other than benchmarks and passing mentions, I found no concrete, reliable information on how to get these or set them up. For example, see right here. I sent an email to the author about two months back but he never replied. I still want to try those damn drivers to see if they're better than AMD's shit ones, but I still have no idea of how to get them or configure them. The few tries I made at getting the OSS drivers on always resulted in X not finding any valid drivers and putting me in software rendering for everything.

If anyone can help in troubleshooting the subtitle issue or can offer guidance in correctly installing the alternative drivers for A10 7850K APUs, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Quote:I have heard and read a few things here and there that have me believing some people are running the AMD A10 7850k using a different set of open drivers (Gallium3D or something? RadeonSI?) but other than benchmarks and passing mentions, I found no concrete, reliable information on how to get these or set them up. For example, see right here. I sent an email to the author about two months back but he never replied. I still want to try those damn drivers to see if they're better than AMD's shit ones, but I still have no idea of how to get them or configure them. The few tries I made at getting the OSS drivers on always resulted in X not finding any valid drivers and putting me in software rendering for everything.

-> First entry in the linux forum: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for that link. There's 207 pages of posts. The first post doesn't mention oibaf PPA, and from what I read I absolutely must use the oibaf drivers for A10 APU.

Yesterday I gave it another go. I updated all my repos. I made sure I had mesa-10.3 installed, I have xserver-xorg-video-ati 7.4.99 (both from oibaf). I purged my fglrx packages with dpkg --purge. I installed kernel 3.16 and updated grub. I rebooted, made sure I was in 3.16, confirmed I was actually using the ati driver using inxi -G. When X started I had a warning that I was running in software rendering mode, XBMC menu runs at about 10fps with all 4 cores at 100% use, video plays at about 10-20fps. Obviously it's not working right. I have no idea why.

I'm not sure which of the 207 pages of the thread would help me in my situation. Do you have any guidance on this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham 13.2 - Subtitles on more than one line cause hard crash0