Intel or Zotac NUC or build me custom?
(2014-08-14, 15:49)AU Jim Wrote: Hey Nick

Thanks mate - appreciate your input/guidance

Bit the bullet this morning and got the Intel i5 D54250WYK NUC and been pulling my hair out ever since, trying to get openlelec (XBMC) installed.

For reference, link to openelec forum posting here >> http://openelec.tv/forum/110-update-open...l-openelec

absolutely driving me nuts

Thanks again

Jim
PM me if you're coming thru HK

Installation of OE should take you all of 5 mins. I've loaded it onto 3 different i3 Haswell NUCs for testing purposes. Without looking at the other forum, what's a basic summary of the issue you are having?

//edit

I just looked at your other thread.... The thing that immediately comes to mind is you might be having a problem with the USB key or SSD that you are trying to use.

How did you "prepare" your thumb drive for OE installation? It's very possible that you did something wrong at this stage.

Second thing I would recommend is that you eliminate the SSD from the equation by simply removing it and trying to install OE onto a 2nd USB device.. that will rule out the chance that the SSD configuration is causing a problem.

Third thing is.... wireless? Why the heck do you want wireless on a media player? You want a wired LAN connection on this thing if you want it to work reliably for streaming large files on your local network.

Last thing .... you've still over specced this thing a fair amount. I have the i3 version of the same NUC and I put in 2GB of Crucial RAM and the cheapest 30GB SSD I could find and OE installed without issue.
Hi voip-ninja - thankd for the input

got it installed at last, albeit no sound

Courtesy lrusak over on the openelec forums >> Try using one of the disk images, you may have more success there.
releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC-Generic.i386-4.0.7.img.gz

You will need win32diskimager.
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

And voila - it worked

but no sound

Yes overspecced but rather that than underspecced - I agree with you too about wireless - they chucked it in for nothin do i took it - might be handy one day, but yes i'm hard wired/ethernet

Any ideas on my no sound issue? / Jim
Volume turned down or muted?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sound now sorted courtesy of much valuable help from David1977 over in openelec irc
Are you going to share the solution so anyone else who has the same problem can try it?
Stereodude - i wish i could, but it was all done via putty/SSH and i have no clue as to what the issues were let alone how it was fixed.

I'm trying to understand and will report back here when i can -

What i can say is that in XBMC we firstly unchecked all the HD audio formats ans changed the sound to speakers not AVR capability - ie in my case 5.1 - but beyond that i'm totally lost

Will report back
Just a link to your openelec thread would suffice.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
was in IRC
Ahh ok.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel or Zotac NUC or build me custom?0