help viewing second hdd over network
I am running 2 hdd's in my xbmcbuntu htpc, 1 120gb ssd for the os and a second 2tb hdd for all the media files. I have been able to auto mount the 2nd hard drive on startup, but I would like to be able to view, copy and paste from that drive over the network. at the moment all that is displayed on the xbmcbuntu network drive is the media folders (downloads, movies, tv hows etc.) within the os hard drive.

Is there a way to set up the second 2tb hard drive on the htpc to be viewable over the network? or would I be better off removing it from the htpc and set up a standalone network drive with it? I was trying to do this on a low budget so I would preffer not to spend the extra money on hard drive docks.

Ive been searching all over the net and can only find info on external network drives.

thanks for any help you can offer.
I presume xbmcbuntu still has the core of ubuntu sitting in the background (never used it, sorry).

If it does then in theory anything you can do on a standard ubuntu you can do on xbmcbuntu. Have a search for "ubuntu share drive". One of the first posts is this guide: How to create a network share

If you are looking to network attach the HDD instead then have a look at what router you have. It may support USB sharing over the network.
(2014-08-13, 13:35)jocksel Wrote: I am running 2 hdd's in my xbmcbuntu htpc, 1 120gb ssd for the os and a second 2tb hdd for all the media files. I have been able to auto mount the 2nd hard drive on startup, but I would like to be able to view, copy and paste from that drive over the network. at the moment all that is displayed on the xbmcbuntu network drive is the media folders (downloads, movies, tv hows etc.) within the os hard drive.

Is there a way to set up the second 2tb hard drive on the htpc to be viewable over the network? or would I be better off removing it from the htpc and set up a standalone network drive with it? I was trying to do this on a low budget so I would preffer not to spend the extra money on hard drive docks.

Ive been searching all over the net and can only find info on external network drives.

If you are not familiar with Ubuntu or Linux (as I wasn't a few months ago) you will need to read up
on the following topics:

- How to use the terminal in Ubuntu (the basics)
- Ubuntu/UNIX file permissions and the terminal commands chown and chmod
- The samba user manual
- Ubuntu documentation adding a second hard drive
- Ubuntu documentation fstab

also how did you mount the second hard drive and what file system did you format it as?

I used the ext4 file system for my second 1 TB HDD and used the fstab method in the Ubuntu documentation to
mount it to a known mount point for example:

/mnt/hdd2

You will need to do the same before configuring samba.
Why would you want to use Samba with Linux when NFS is native to Linux and better ?

If the drive is already mounted (sounds like it is), then sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server will install the required stuff, and the guide in the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS...from_Linux shows you how to set up the /etc/exports file.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-08-17, 16:31)J876 Wrote:
(2014-08-13, 13:35)jocksel Wrote: I am running 2 hdd's in my xbmcbuntu htpc, 1 120gb ssd for the os and a second 2tb hdd for all the media files. I have been able to auto mount the 2nd hard drive on startup, but I would like to be able to view, copy and paste from that drive over the network. at the moment all that is displayed on the xbmcbuntu network drive is the media folders (downloads, movies, tv hows etc.) within the os hard drive.

If you are not familiar with Ubuntu or Linux (as I wasn't a few months ago) you will need to read up
on the following topics:

- How to use the terminal in Ubuntu (the basics)
- Ubuntu/UNIX file permissions and the terminal commands chown and chmod
- The samba user manual
- Ubuntu documentation adding a second hard drive
- Ubuntu documentation fstab

also how did you mount the second hard drive and what file system did you format it as?

I used the ext4 file system for my second 1 TB HDD and used the fstab method in the Ubuntu documentation to
mount it to a known mount point for example:

/mnt/hdd2

You will need to do the same before configuring samba.

Hey thanks everyone for the help, yeah pretty new to Ubuntu but getting my head around it slowly, didnt occur to me that this was more of a ubuntu problem instead of xbmc. I managed to get the hdd to view over the network using samba to link the mount point for the hdd. it all seems to be working now and I can easily transfer to the second hdd, but I will read into NFS.

I used fstab to mount the second hard drive, format was NTFS as I already had data on there so didnt want to format it and lose data.

Only problem I seem to be having now is when I boot up it seems to be trying to look at a heap of other hdd locations that don't exist. but this seemed to start happening after installing the pulse-eight controller, not when I mounted the hdd. work still in progress

Thanks
(2014-08-17, 17:52)black_eagle Wrote: Why would you want to use Samba with Linux when NFS is native to Linux and better ?

If the drive is already mounted (sounds like it is), then sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server will install the required stuff, and the guide in the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS...from_Linux shows you how to set up the /etc/exports file.

I used samba personally because I have both Windows, Linux and Android machines on my network that is the main reason for me.
I use samba. I have this in my smb.conf. All of my auto mount drives are on network now.

[Media]
path = /media
comment = Auto Mount Media
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
No problem Smile

Be aware though that if it was purely for XBMC to access, then NFS is a built in protocol and works regardless of the OS. This doesn't apply of course if you are copying to the drive from a Windows box although Win 7 Professional and better includes support for mounting NFS shares directly the same way as SMB shares.
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help viewing second hdd over network0