Moving Media Files to New Location and Migrating/Updating MySQL DB
Hi all

I've been running XBMC between 3 devices with the MySQL synchronisation, which has been working a treat for the last couple of years. So much so I've never had to do anything, so I'm not actually that experienced with XBMC :-( The media is all sitting on a NAS that I'm about to get rid of, so I'm going to migrate this over to another source. I'm also after a bit of advice on what might serve best as the new MySQL location.

I've also read a fair few threads about how to do the database migration, but none seem to be an exact "do this, then this and you're good to go". The ones I've seen seem to all have different approaches, with differing success levels. So I was hoping I could get the latest view on how to do this reliably under the Gotham XBMC version.

Currently I have the media on a Qnap NAS shared as: \\qnap\multimedia. Within that folder I have Movies/Series/Thumbnails folders. The MySQL is sitting on the Qnap. This database has been around for 2-3 years and I've just upgraded it as new XBMC releases have dropped.

So onto the new environment. I have a server running Hyper-V with a bunch of storage that I'm looking as the new destination. I already have a kubuntu virtual machine running XBMC, so that receives all of the notifications and does a media scan every 4 hours to take the pain away from the other devices. I could put MySQL on here, but am open to creating a dedicated virtual machine running just MySQL. As for access to the media I'm considering running a FreeNAS/OpenMediaVault virtual machine that will serve the file shares. It's a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server if that makes a difference.

So the two questions I have are:
  1. How do I safely migrate the MySQL database over to the new location, including updating the path to the media
  2. Where would be best for the MySQL database (dedicated VM, or shared with XBMC)
It's a long post, sorry, but I wanted to make sure I put in all the info I could think of. So over to you more experienced XBMC'ers for a little advice and help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving Media Files to New Location and Migrating/Updating MySQL DB0