Does increasing buffer/cache actually work?
Some streamed movies pause at certain points and I was wondering if this could be improved.
I am running off noobs openelec, would i be better of with fresh install and use usb for rest of the storage.
Also does modifying video cache actually work? and if it does how would I test it on Openelec.

Sorry if this has been asked before.
Yes it does. You test by comparing with it turned off and turned on.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-14, 12:09)nickr Wrote: Yes it does. You test by comparing with it turned off and turned on.

OK. and how do I do that. whats the best settings for sd card usage, I am uing 8gb noobs openelec?
My view is, given the add-ons you are using, it won't make any difference in the slightest.

To change the buffersize, you need to edit your advancedsettings.xml Advancedsettings.xml#Network_settings (wiki)
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2014-08-14, 12:50)black_eagle Wrote: My view is, given the add-ons you are using, it won't make any difference in the slightest.

To change the buffersize, you need to edit your advancedsettings.xml Advancedsettings.xml#Network_settings (wiki)

why do say it wont make a difference? Can I achieve this by any other methords?
Just tried this (twice the bufsize + fillrate=3) because of my problems with 1080p50 files having very high data rate.
Result is not optimal, but a few better.
Seems to me, there is some more/other correction needed...

You shold test UPnP - NFS - USB if needed. USB works best here, but still some hickups...

My very old WDTVlive plays this without any problems!
The problem with increasing the cache size is it decreases free ram on an already ram limited system. Setting the cache to 0 causes it to cache to the drive/sd card which frees up ram but may shorten sd card life, my opinion is that sd cards are cheap and if I have to replace it every year or two then it's a fair tradeoff. That being said I have several Pi running <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> for a long time and haven't had a card failure yet.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Ditch the NOOBS card. I bought one the other week, I went from a pretty solid system, To problem after problem. I went back to a usb stick and system returned back to normal.
(2014-08-14, 18:02)Dilligaf Wrote: The problem with increasing the cache size is it decreases free ram on an already ram limited system. Setting the cache to 0 causes it to cache to the drive/sd card which frees up ram but may shorten sd card life, my opinion is that sd cards are cheap and if I have to replace it every year or two then it's a fair tradeoff. That being said I have several Pi running <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> for a long time and haven't had a card failure yet.
what settings are you using and how do I find xml file so I can add the lines needed.
I have this in advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>2.0</readbufferfactor>
  </network>

I'm not sure of the location of advancedsettings.xml in Openelec or if there is one by default, you may have to create one in which case you need to include <advancedsettings> at the beginning and </advancedsettings> at the end
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2014-08-14, 20:27)Dilligaf Wrote: I have this in advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<network>
  </network>

I'm not sure of the location of advancedsettings.xml in Openelec or if there is one by default, you may have to create one in which case you need to include <advancedsettings> at the beginning and </advancedsettings> at the end

thanks would these be oky to use running off noobs pi b+
You guys can crank that readbufferfactor up higher, if you want :)

The readbufferfactor is basically dependent on the bitrate of a given file, where "1" is loading the video slightly above the bitrate needed to play. Most systems shouldn't need to worry about loading things too fast or having a setting that is too high. In theory it could cause issues in some isolated cases, but you could throw "100" in there and it probably wouldn't hurt anything. It would just allow the math to work out in such a way that XBMC/Kodi tries to load things as fast as it can get it, regardless of the bitrate of the video.

I think most of my systems use "10" right now.
(2014-08-14, 19:29)stuCONNERS Wrote: Ditch the NOOBS card. I bought one the other week, I went from a pretty solid system, To problem after problem. I went back to a usb stick and system returned back to normal.

Really? I got like.. [counts cards].. six NOOBS cards, and so far they've all been great. I've only used 3 so far, but so far so good. Maybe you got a dud?

(2014-08-14, 20:38)yaqh Wrote:
(2014-08-14, 20:27)Dilligaf Wrote: I have this in advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<network>
  </network>

thanks would these be oky to use running off noobs pi b+

Yes, but...

You will shorten the life of the SD card by writing the cache to it (which is what <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize> does). I don't know exactly how short that will be, but just be aware of that. It's not entirely uncommon to actually burn out a card in a year or so when you read/write to it that much.

That being said, I've done it and it seems to work fine. Maybe the card will last for years, maybe not, I'm not sure. It's a card I'm prepared to part with, though :)
i cant seem to find the xml does anyone know how to find it via ssh?
It doesn't exist until you create it.

ssh to Pi.
cd .xbmc/userdata
nano advancedsettings.xml
{type your file in}
ctrl+o to save
ctrl+x to exit
reboot
Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does increasing buffer/cache actually work?0