WIP Maps Add-on
(2016-05-29, 16:32)wstephen Wrote: Thank you so much, the_bo

Yes, as soon as I have removed all the API keys I see the base map right away. And yeah, it's a great Add-on. Work real good in Windows 10, because there is a "Content" key on my Keyboard. A press on the Content key shows "Home" (My place in lat and long), then there are "Place" and "Panorama" too. My feel is it was targeted for operating with a TV Box Remote. On a PC, I have to use Left/Right keys for navigation, PgUp and PgDn to zoom in and out.

You say the Street View a bit low in resolution but it is OK to me. The strange thing is when I use the Place to search for a location it says I have used the service to its maximum limit (in fact it was only my first try). I input the Google API Key again just to see if it was because of having no key that triggered the "Maximum Limit". I had a black screen again. Removing it, the Addon resumes service.

I am of the view that this Addon should be given a fair chance to be further developed too. I had myPicsDB setup for photos. I did a translation on the string.po file, and I noticed xyCL (myPicsDB's Developer) has included a function in his view to use the geodata of the photos to bring up their relevant google map and street view. A great mission as I see it. What an excellent match between myPicsDB and Maps, we can't afford to miss.

Thanks again for you help. Very much appreciated.

Good day, mate!

Glad you got it going Steve Big Grin

Yeah I also get the maximum limit searching places I think its because places uses foursquare and maybe you need enter API credentials for that to work. Wonder if Google could do this instead.

The other thing I love is that you can switch between Google earth and maps by pressing i on keyboard.

The next thing be great would be to allow movement in street view although maybe Google still hasn't implemented this as first post mentions.

Yeah I agree this add-on should be maintained. Pity original author isn't active on kodi anymore maybe someone with python skills could add to it.

For time being it looks good Smile
Hay, thank you so much Wink

It works, it finally works!!!Rofl So, Google API is the only API key that does not work properly, but the Maps, Geocoding, and Panarama, etc, works perfectly without any credential at all.

In a summery:
1) Don't input any credential to Google. Leave the entries blank, Google will work just fine. Adding any credential to Google would only result in a blank screen.

2) Foursquare is the only search "Place" Service Provider. It needs credentials such as Client id and Client secret to be input; without them, one would see a pop-up saying, "You have reach the maximum service limit". But, Foursquare is really generous to grant their credential. Nice services indeed. But the Maps Addon, at the moment, could not read the place based information by mouse hover/click so far. I also seriously wish someone else may take over the development for the Maps. There is really a lot of foreseeable enhancements to this wonderful Addon.

3) Bing can also be selected as Map and Geocoding Service Provider, but the quality of maps are of lower resolutions and has no local languages on the maps. Again, Bing requires credentials to be input.

4) MapQuest can be selected as Map Provider. Their maps are more colorful, but slow to load, and doesn't zoom in close enough. MapQuest also displays local language on small scale maps (closer zoom in levels). It requires credential for the map service as well. It does not provide geocoding service.

5) Here App is not a free service.

6) One can select a mix of any map provider, to any Geocoding Service Provider, and to work with any Place Information Provider (currently, Foursquare is the only choice).

Now, since this Map Add-on has such a potential to grow, and it definitely requires a Kodi input keyboard interface in order to search for places in local language on a TV Box . Unfortunately, there isn't a working one in Kodi Repository for my language. I'll see if I can build one if it is not too difficult.

Thanks so much for your inspiration, indeed!!! You are such a nice buddy!!!Big Grin
(2016-05-30, 07:03)wstephen Wrote: Hay, thank you so much Wink

It works, it finally works!!!Rofl So, Google API is the only API key that does not work properly, but the Maps, Geocoding, and Panarama, etc, works perfectly without any credential at all.

In a summery:
1) Don't input any credential to Google. Leave the entries blank, Google will work just fine. Adding any credential to Google would only result in a blank screen.

2) Foursquare is the only search "Place" Service Provider. It needs credentials such as Client id and Client secret to be input; without them, one would see a pop-up saying, "You have reach the maximum service limit". But, Foursquare is really generous to grant their credential. Nice services indeed. But the Maps Addon, at the moment, could not read the place based information by mouse hover/click so far. I also seriously wish someone else may take over the development for the Maps. There is really a lot of foreseeable enhancements to this wonderful Addon.

3) Bing can also be selected as Map and Geocoding Service Provider, but the quality of maps are of lower resolutions and has no local languages on the maps. Again, Bing requires credentials to be input.

4) MapQuest can be selected as Map Provider. Their maps are more colorful, but slow to load, and doesn't zoom in close enough. MapQuest also displays local language on small scale maps (closer zoom in levels). It requires credential for the map service as well. It does not provide geocoding service.

5) Here App is not a free service.

6) One can select a mix of any map provider, to any Geocoding Service Provider, and to work with any Place Information Provider (currently, Foursquare is the only choice).

Now, since this Map Add-on has such a potential to grow, and it definitely requires a Kodi input keyboard interface in order to search for places in local language on a TV Box . Unfortunately, there isn't a working one in Kodi Repository for my language. I'll see if I can build one if it is not too difficult.

Thanks so much for your inspiration, indeed!!! You are such a nice buddy!!!Big Grin

Thanks for the info steve Big Grin

Yeah google seems to be the best overall. How did you get the foursquare credentials. Did they give you them for free or do you have to pay?

I think i seen when looking at the code for this addon the author left his email address in there. Maybe could contact him sometime ask him to update this addon again hopefully.

Loving it so far oh and try typing in the following coordinates and zooming in using satellite view see what ya find lol 65.476721, -173.511416 Tongue

Thanks again have a good day Smile
Nop, there are two sites of Foursquare, I didn't get the right one to begin withConfused and not working with the Maps too. But this is the right one (a developer's key with very long credentials):

https://foursquare.com/developers/register

They don't charge.Big Grin

So, give it a try if you wish.

That's a real attempt to get the author working on it again. Once he knows his Addon is so much needed, and the great potential of it. It's been a lot of changes and intiatives in Kodi afterall.

Oh! My God, there is a deep and huge undersea basin in Berlin sea! A huge loss of seabed material south of the Aleutian Belt.

Steve
(2016-05-30, 16:40)wstephen Wrote: Nop, there are two sites of Foursquare, I didn't get the right one to begin withConfused and not working with the Maps too. But this is the right one (a developer's key with very long credentials):

https://foursquare.com/developers/register

They don't charge.Big Grin

So, give it a try if you wish.

Thanks for link Steve. Once you register do they give you the key? I'll try it out for sure Smile

Yeah this addon has lot potential. One user above mentioned about a feature to show a place in maps where a particular movie in your library was shot. Things like that.

Its good you brought this thread back up as it was a few years since last post. Otherwise i wouldnt have known about this awesome addon Big Grin

Quote:Oh! My God, there is a deep and huge undersea basin in Berlin sea! A huge loss of seabed material south of the Aleutian Belt.

Did you see the outline of a monkey sleeping by the cracks in the landscape Tongue The wonders of nature.

I just hope this addon wont get broken by kodi updates. So far so good.Big Grin
Yeah, mate. They'll give you the key right away.

So far so good.

Have a nice day, mate.
Brick 
I share with you the old Script Maps addon for kodi: http://vializer.com/1466526/kodi-maps-script
I tried this new one but it is not compatible for Raspberry PI.

Enjoy! Wink
(2017-11-05, 20:01)bbbnnn Wrote: I share with you the old Script Maps addon for kodi: http://vializer.com/1466526/kodi-maps-script
I tried this new one but it is not compatible for Raspberry PI.

Enjoy! Wink

This version is working on my raspberry pi.

Theres ads on the link you provided.

Do you know how to add new features to this addon, would like to be able to move while in street view?

Thanks
(2017-11-05, 21:38)the_bo Wrote: This version is working on my raspberry pi.
Theres ads on the link you provided.
Do you know how to add new features to this addon, would like to be able to move while in street view?

I've never explored the source code of this addon.
But here are some tips:
* Use arrow keys and +/- to navigate browse through the map
* Use 'C' key to change the map type: roadmap, satellite, hybrid or terrain(now I'm not sure if it's 'C' or 'I' key)

Regards

PS: Regarding ads on link I provided, I usually use link shrinkers because it is easier to manage the links when files are removed from filehost. However, it seems I forgot to disable this option. I'll handle this as soon as possible.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Maps Add-on1