Sons of Anarchy (or any other TV show for that matter)
I just got Sons Of Anarchy and am starting to rip it to my NAS. I started with DVDFab and it took a LONG time to read it and I had a ton of files listed. The first disc for example has 5 episodes but DVD Fab found a few dozen files. There were several around the same size and named like 800, 801, etc. So I selected those 5 and renamed them and started the rip? I got an immediate error on each file and it failed. I want to do it in Fab so use H264 and save space but I was forced to use Make MKV which will give me a bigger file, albeit better quality. Same thing though, tons of files listed. 801, 802, 803...807,808 and it has 5 episodes too. I selected 801-805 as the first 5 episodes and started ripping in Make MKV. How can I be sure I am getting the right files? SoA doesn't list episode names so I can't watch as minute in for an episode name. Is it a general rule that episodes are starting with 801? I'm not sure why it failed in DVD fab though. I'm ripping 3 discs, 14 episodes right now and as they'll all be new to me, I have no way if I got the right files or right order. If I name them in order and start with 801 can I be pretty sure of getting the right files? MakeMKV is naming them Sons_Of_Anarchy_Disc_1_t00.mkv and so on. I'd be a little more settled if, for instance, the first disc only had 5 files in the 8TB file size range. That one had 7 though. I'm left wondering why there are 7 files in the right range but only 5 episodes.

Is there any better way of making sure I am getting the right files? Also, is it worth it, if I did get the right ones, to run them through Handbrake and use H264?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
1. It's caused by attempts at copy protection by the studios. Are you using the latest version of Fab and have you reported/asked about the problem on their forum?
2. The safest way to find the correct titles is to play the original disk in a Blu-Ray player and note the title as each episode is navigated and played from the menu.
3. If you process the MKV files (they should be uncompressed) in Handbrake, you can compress the file size with little discernible loss.

There is NO STANDARD regarding authoring/numbering.
I would guess that encryption might be an issue. The largest files should be what you are looking for, with a vob extention
@patseguin,

What I do when ripping Tv shows from disc is the following:

1) Use DVD Fab and do full disc rip which create VIDEO_TS.
2) load folder into Handbrake and then select from the list files that are around 40 mins in length and convert them to mkv using standard setting except change one in video to 18,

Might be the long way round but I find it the easiest to do, just rip all the disc into a season folder, then read each disc and select each episode and add to queue and then just start the queue and leave it going. I can do a boxset a day and it doesn't take all day mind, I use a 3 year old laptop to do it so it may be faster on other hardware?
I do exactly the same, each disc takes approx 2 hours to rip/convert (Depending on the quality/size you prefer). I use handbrake with constant quality anywhere between 15-20 depending on the show. I also use the slowest conversion speed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sons of Anarchy (or any other TV show for that matter)0