kodi - new look??
I guess posts like yours demonstrate amply why it is good to have so much choice. Your reasons are quite valid for you, and other people have other imperatives.

Long live the open nature of the whole add-on scheme for Kodi/XBMC, skins included Smile

PS if you have a fix for VideoFullScreen.xml, have you submitted a pull request or bug report?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@jjd-uk - I suppose we'd need a view from an experienced skinner - perhaps Eddage since that's seemingly the most recent 'let's update Confluence' experience. That might give an insight into the likely effort or success in fully refreshing Confluence so that it'd remain suitable as a default versus starting again from scratch.

I'm with a couple of others on this thread... with the possible exception of Amber, something has driven me back to Confluence from every other skin I've tried, so a rewrite would have to be done very carefully - versus a refresh that could be a straight drop-in replacement.
(2014-09-04, 22:38)asiuhas Wrote: One thing I don't get it why you guys don't add "time remaining", I haven't really seen a reason why it's not in the code. I fixed it myself by changing VideoFullScreen.xml, but you really shouldn't have to. Someone said it right, "I shouldn't have to do math to find out how much time is left of the movie."

This just goes to show the difference in views there can be on these things, as I don't get why you would need time remaining when xbmc tells you what the end time is. We each have different preferences so the best we can hope for is cater for the majority, so some will always be left not completely satisfied.
(2014-09-04, 22:58)Prof Yaffle Wrote: @jjd-uk - I suppose we'd need a view from an experienced skinner - perhaps Eddage since that's seemingly the most recent 'let's update Confluence' experience. That might give an insight into the likely effort or success in fully refreshing Confluence so that it'd remain suitable as a default versus starting again from scratch.

I'm with a couple of others on this thread... with the possible exception of Amber, something has driven me back to Confluence from every other skin I've tried, so a rewrite would have to be done very carefully - versus a refresh that could be a straight drop-in replacement.
There is a strong desire on the Team to build a new skin from scratch so we are completely free of restrictions, as ome of the ui improvements we'd like to see can't be done without rewriting Confluence or need code changes in core, however doing it from scratch will take a lot of time, anything up to 12 months or even longer I think I've seen quoted.

So if we decide to go that route the question is then can we use a refreshed Confluence as a stepping stone, to make it worth the effort and not distract from the longer goal of a new skin.
... which is why I'd be very cautious about a Confluence replacement versus a straight refresh. If it's functionally the same as the current default, at least there'd be fewer whines about 'but where's xyz gone' and 'you've changed something without consulting me, I hate you and all of your family forever more'.

EDIT

Attach this response to your previous post!
(2014-08-15, 09:40)Martijn Wrote: we thought about it yes.
yes we do want a fresh new look.
however getting a complete new skin is not something that is done easily. it takes a lot of time to getting it right. also having the same skin under the new name gives users a sign of recognition which makes the transition less shocking.
Why no made one from developed skin [ Neon; Aeon Nox or Bello ] like default skin ?
Is easy decided who is mast used by people; please look to statistic forum.
Maybe is too others skins outside kodi repo and people used this skins but if author can start competition why no put his skin to kodi repo.
How about the ability to have themes for confluence? Other skins do it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Themes are already supported in all skins for e.g theme for confluence https://github.com/uNiversaI/revamped.themes but themes are only texture changes in a packed xbt and a matching color.xml named to suit,Given enough care you can make skin look totally different, however themes dont pack any xml changes as is as they are not destructive.

I use that in my confluence skin it works, just need to modify the skin.extras downloader from another skin to use in confluence so to download themes, backgrounds, weather etc, though I know 0 python and why I not done it yet. So atm its all manual download and extract and install.
I noticed another Confluence refresh going on here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=203324
Thats a complete skin, not a theme, theres a difference.

But yea theres a few.
(2014-09-05, 10:09)uNiversal Wrote: Themes are already supported in all skins for e.g theme for confluence https://github.com/uNiversaI/revamped.themes but themes are only texture changes in a packed xbt and a matching color.xml named to suit,Given enough care you can make skin look totally different, however themes dont pack any xml changes as is as they are not destructive.

I use that in my confluence skin it works, just need to modify the skin.extras downloader from another skin to use in confluence so to download themes, backgrounds, weather etc, though I know 0 python and why I not done it yet. So atm its all manual download and extract and install.

Pls share the backdrop you used Wink
(2014-09-06, 00:01)schumi2004 Wrote: Pls share the backdrop you used Wink

Its all in https://github.com/uNiversaI/revamped.th...tag/v2.1.7
Just to say I really like Confluence it strikes the right balance between a UI that caters to file viewing and those who want coverart (which not everyone does).

Almost all the third party skins go overboard on the coverart so you must use the library function otherwise it looks incredibly barren.

If there is to be a re-do of default UI I hope that is kept in mind.
Yeah but xbmc=library=xbmc.
Word up! Just bought one of your last hoodies. I agree with changing Confluence—it's just not nice. Sad Get one of the top skinners on this to create something elegant; not much overhead. I'm not a big fan of the new name, but I can understand your reasoning. XBMC doesn't roll off the tongue so well. It'll be easier to communicate things to my family who I'm going to set up Kodi for, I guess!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi - new look??0