xbmc hung on loading screen after ubuntu upgrade
Having a problem getting my xbmc machine to fully boot up. I just ran a "do-release-upgrade" twice as I had originally installed xbmcbuntu installed on a pc with some customizations. It first tried to upgrade me from 12.10 to 13.1 than it error'd out with too many issues, so I re-ran the "do-release-upgrade" and it upgraded me to

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

I can ssh in to the machine with no problems though if I go look at my tv screen it just stays on those 5 white dots that fill up and disappear with XBMC media center on the screen. I saw some forum saying to purge out the nvidia-common drivers but when I attempted that it suggested i was the ubuntu-common-drivers so I purged and reinstalled and that had no luck.

Any suggestions to get xbmc to fully load up on the display ? The only relevant info I can seem to find in the dmesg logs is " 15.207632] nvidia: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel"

The motherboard in use is a "ASUS P5N7A-VM" with onboard video.
there are just way too many things that can go wrong with distribution updates, specially when you ignore errors in between two. Just reinstall with xbmcbuntu 13
Well right now i found I also have these errors.

Starting lightDM display manager = fail
Starting X display manager lightdm = ok
Starting send an event to indicate plymouth is up = fail

When I first posted I did not have that middle line showing, though I was able to get that to show up after reinstalling lightdm into update-rc.d and editing /etc/init.d/lightdm to include "HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=false"

Ive tried my original nvidia-xconfig settings in xorg.conf and the new ones after running that command with the same issue. So its definitely something wrong with the display manager from starting up at boot.

I plugged in a normal keyboard to my media center so I could access the f2-3 keys, Im able to login to a new shell, I can run startx but it just gives me a black screen which the only way I can close that is via ssh and forcefully stopping x. Looking at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and I am not seeing any relevant info as to why its not display a desktop..

I would rather not have to reinstall linux as well linux should never need to be reinstalled and there are a lot of minor customizations I will have to relook up to fix it as xbmcbuntu does not work right out of the box with my motherboard. Sound never works and some other issues with fonts and the such.

Also I believe the reason why it error'd out on the first upgrade is because my apt sources had to be updated to the old-releases to even start the process.
Well now Ive noticed these errors in lightdm.log

DEBUG: Seat: Failed to find session configuration XBMCbuntu
DEBUG: Seat: Can't find session 'XBMCbuntu'
DEBUG: Seat: Creating greeter session
DEBUG: Seat: Failed to find session configuration
DEBUG: Seat: Failed to create greeter session

I tried installing ubuntu-sessions per another forum but no luck with that.
And after a simple apt-get purge lightdm && apt-get install lightdm I can now see my display manager which gives me 4 choices to login.. The XBMC works flawlessly, loads right up into the application. If I choose the Ubuntu one so I can get to a desktop, i see the blue background photo of xbmcbuntu (though it looks to only display 16 or 32 colors?) as its definitely not normal.. then it goes to a light blue screen with no taskbar or anything, only way to force close it is by shutting down X or lightdm via ssh.
I had the same problem and found that doing the following solved it:

My /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file was:
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=someuser
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=
greeter-session=
allow-guest=false
default-user=someuser

I changed the greeter-session entry so my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is now as follows:
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=someuser
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
allow-guest=false
default-user=someuser

I then restarted lightdm (stop lightdm ; start lightdm) and was presented with the login (greeter) screen. I selected "XBMC" as the login session (rather than OpenBox), and logged in as myself...and sure enough XBMC started OK. I then rebooted the machine and lightdm did the autologin and XBMC starts as expected.
[/quote]
(2014-09-11, 00:02)wombatom Wrote: I had the same problem and found that doing the following solved it:

My /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file was:
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=someuser
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=
greeter-session=
allow-guest=false
default-user=someuser

I changed the greeter-session entry so my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf is now as follows:
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=someuser
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
allow-guest=false
default-user=someuser

I then restarted lightdm (stop lightdm ; start lightdm) and was presented with the login (greeter) screen. I selected "XBMC" as the login session (rather than OpenBox), and logged in as myself...and sure enough XBMC started OK. I then rebooted the machine and lightdm did the autologin and XBMC starts as expected.

Thanks! This fixed my issue after upgrading a xbmcbuntu install to Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc hung on loading screen after ubuntu upgrade0