Problems with 1080p50 videos (high bitrate)
Hi,
after some days of testing & googling I hope for some help here:

I'm running a Pi-B+ with Openelec 4.0.7 + Gotham 13.1 on a Class-10 Sandisk SD (All 'Bells & whistles' switched off, skin is quartz).
Tried a separate usb-pendrive for storage but this made no difference for me.

The problem is:
Some of my videos are in 1080p50 with bitrates up to 60Mbit/s (mkv, High profile AVC), coming from my Syno-NAS via wired GBit.
Playing them with my old WDTVlive gives no problems at all (has a 100-ether-plug, too).
But the Pi starts stuttering at the critical sequences.
With debug on I can see, cpu load is high, but not 100%. Other sequences with longer 100%-situation bring no stuttering!
But - if such stuttering occurs - the left memory-indicator (I think freemem) is heavy running down (seems to me like buffer filling) and then the video stops or stutters.
I played around with readbufferfactor & cachemembuffersize but without real success. I still had more than 100MB free, even with 50MB cache and factor 3.

One fact is really clear: playing per UPnP brings most problems, via nfs only a few (but too much) and playing directly from pendrive is best, but not 100% ok.
But I need to play this all from the nas.

Just tried the new 4.1.3 + 13.2 (beta) with nearly the same result.
If further info is needed, let me know.
wolfn
The Pi is designed for Blu-Ray (1080p24 with 40Mb/s video) and camcorder footage (1080p30 typically less than 40Mb/s), so you are pushing beyond that.
It is probably possible to play these clips, but you'll probably need overclock and will need a good network (or USB disk) connection.

If you upload a sample file then others (including me) can confirm if the file is playable in their setups and we can work out where the bottleneck is.

Firstly start with a fast USB stick to rule out the network and concentrate on getting that playing smoothly.
Only when that is playing smoothly is it worth testing through the network.
Thanks for your reply!

Ok, will prepare a snippet and post the link here.

I will check it before uploading (the length needed).
Seems to me, there is some 'buffer exhaust' needed to bring up the problem.

But as already stated: usb works best, the last used pendrive just tested: >13MByte/s read, thats twice the bitrate needed plus buffering, has still some stutter.

wolfn

Edit: Overclocking is already on: 900 | 333 | 450 | 2 but cpu doesn't reach 100%!

Edit2: My audio-settings are pass-though & 'fast'. I used the wiki-page but I'm unsure if its all ok. Any pitfalls?
Hi,
upload just completed. You will find 2 testfiles here: ftp://ftp.snafu.de/pub/transfer/xbmctest/
The second one has more problems, just from my pendrive.
Tried overclocking = high (950) but is doesn't solve anything. Only difference I found is freemem now goes a bit below 100MB.
(Divided Memory 256/256)

I suspect a problem with buffer-handling, if I read some other posts http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=201797
and my own about slideshows via UPnP http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=201974.

No doubt, the Pi is running near its limit, but my hope was the B+ will handle this better...
My old WDTVlive -as far as I know- is running a similar (slower) processor and can really handle this stuff
(http://www.legitreviews.com/western-digi...yer_1118/2).
And I wish to retire this box...

Edit: pls correct the link to the files, seems the board-system manipulates this: "ftp://ftp.snafu.de/pub/transfer/xbmctest/"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with 1080p50 videos (high bitrate)0