Tuner Recommendation
Hi everyone,

I'm about to move and thinking about cutting the cord and not subscribing to cable at my new place. However I still want to be able to watch the occasional football game or TV show on the major networks here in the U.S. So I'm looking for a TV tuner that can tune OTA TV. I currently am using an InfiniTV4 with a Comcast cable card and it works beautifully. Its sad that those cards can not be repurposed for OTA if a cable card is not inserted.

I've been eyeing the HDHomeRun Plus but I was wondering if anyone knew of a tuner that can tune up to 4 channels vs. the 2 that the HDHomeRun Plus can tune, without having to buy multiple HDHomeRun Pluses?
Each tuner on an HD Homerun can tune as many channels are there are on the particular mux it is tuned to.

I can record up to about 5 channels per tuner.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Wait what? Please explain cause on my inifitv I have 4 tuners and can only record or view 4 channels at a time on my network. How can the HDHomeRun record up to 5 channels per tuner?
Because in digital tv transmission each multiplex carries more than one channel. Once you are tuned to a multiplex you can watch/record all the channels on the multiplex with the one tuner. (I don't think this applies when cablecard is involved, but I am not plagued by cablecard so I am not 100% sure.)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah, it's not quite the same when you're referring to the HDHomeRun Prime (ie cablecard) or the HDHomeRun Plus (if using it's H.264 transcoders)
I am not sure why you'd transcode to h.264 unless you were watching on some unfortunate architecture that can't decode mpeg2.
(2014-08-18, 22:07)nickr Wrote: I am not sure why you'd transcode to h.264 unless you were watching on some unfortunate architecture that can't decode mpeg2.
I'm not advocating the use of transcoding, but just commenting that those two types of HDHR tuners are different standard digital tuners, and have special functions that can limit their use to a single channel per tuner.

I'm pretty sure their transcoding function wasn't aimed at rich players like XBMC, but rather the stacks of phones and tablets, and DLNA clients that don't natively play mpeg2. I guess it could be of use to some XBMC clients for streaming their channels from a server across the internet rather than the local network etc.
(2014-08-18, 21:52)nickr Wrote: Because in digital tv transmission each multiplex carries more than one channel. Once you are tuned to a multiplex you can watch/record all the channels on the multiplex with the one tuner. (I don't think this applies when cablecard is involved, but I am not plagued by cablecard so I am not 100% sure.)
OK I think I'm starting to get it. So in the U.S. our OTA TV has channels numbering like 13.1, 13.2, 30.2, etc. So what you're referring to is if I tune a single tuner to channel 13 I can watch all the subchannels via that one tuner, but not the subchannels of channel 30?
Yes.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tuner Recommendation0