Remote control for TV works *through* the TV = Slow?
Hi All,

It's my first time on XMBC and so far it's looking really good. It's a little (and I mean only a little) slow reacting to my commands but then I am running it on a Rasberry Pi B+ so I guess I can expect this. It's my first experience of the Pi too so it's all quite exciting in my geeky head right now!

Quick question if anyone has the chance to drop me a reply.

My Sony TV remote works out of the box with the PI and XMBC. *Out of the box* I couldn't believe it! I'd bought an IR Receiver and it looks like I don't need it...why? Well, it appears that the remote is controlling XMBC through the TV!

I'm a little confused, how would this work?

And also, if I configured a remote to run explicitly with the Pi then would the interface be a little less sluggish to respond to my commands?

Thanks guys Smile
Its called CEC - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

Probably won't make any difference with an IR remote to the speed of the interface. Overclocking your Pi will help with that though if you haven't already.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks black_eagle, that makes sense, much appreciate your reply. Now time to return that IR receiver and remote - and look into overclocking the Pi a touch Smile
Are you using openelec for raspberry?
(2014-08-16, 12:15)black_eagle Wrote: Probably won't make any difference with an IR remote to the speed of the interface. Overclocking your Pi will help with that though if you haven't already.

Actually it can make a big difference.

If you hold down a key or lirc button I believe you get a press, delay, release sequence, and xbmc generates the repeats (at something like 10 per seocond).
libcec produces a sequence of discrete presses whose speed is determined by the TV.
The repeat rate of CEC is often quite slow (e.g. a few repeats per second), but varies with TV manufacturer.

Ideally libcec would generate the press, delay, release sequence, and you would get the same repeat rate as other remote interfaces use.

Try using a phone remote and you'll probably find you can scroll a lot quicker than with cec remote.

Also remember with long lists that pressing right moves you into a page at a time scrolling which is quicker.
Also the number keys on the remote support SMS style (e.g. press 6 twice to skip to "N").
Thank you so much for all your replies. I will stick with CEC for now and update at a later date. Will let you know how it goes when I do Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control for TV works *through* the TV = Slow?0