Linux [XBMCbuntu] XBMC don't start, only see Loginscreen
hi,

the last 2 week i set up xbmcbuntu 13.1 as alternative to openelec i used the last 2 years. now i wanted to change the ip to a static ip and made the changes in /etc/network/interfaces with ssh and rebootet. maybe i made a mistake - i could connect via ssh. i started the console and edited the interfaces using keyboard direct at the machine and restartet (i'm not sure what i changes exactly). after that second reboot xbmc doesn't start anymore - i see the login screen, i can type the password, but after that the login comes again. ssh isn't working. i can start a second console with strg+alt+f2.

maybe this is a problem with the 'xbmc-standalone'? any idea?

my system is a zotac ion 330-a mainbaord (with onboard-gpu).

friedrich
If you press STRG-ALT-F2 and get a login prompt....are you able to login?

If yes...go to

/etc/network

and edit your "interfaces"-file to match it like this:

Code:
address 192.168.x.x
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.x.x
dns-nameservers 192.168.x.x

The "x" (or the IP in generall) have to match to network at home. I once have had similar problems because I forgot to enter the "dns-nameservers" in the file. After adding this, everythings works fine.

That's not a solution for your other problem (not able to login, because login screen always comes up again after entering passwort). But if you are able to ssh to your machin, it's possible to get debuglogs, so we might help you.

Maybe a simple thing....is it the correct password you entered?
i disabled static ip and use dhcp again, now i can connect via ssh.

what log file should i post? here some things i've tried:

when i start the console with strg+alt+f1 (or f2) and enter 'xbmc', there is an error

Quote:error: unable to open display
xbmc needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering
install an appropriate graphic driver

but i though the driver is installed. i could use vdpau with xbmcbuntu without installed any graphic driver. xbmc worked fine for 1-2 weeks.

is there any other log i can post?
When you boot from a cold start, do you get to a login screen and if so, can you successfully log in and get to a desktop ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
i get the login screen, but there is no desktop - it's xbmcbuntu, there is no window manager like kde. normally after logging in xbmc should start. but now, i get the login screen again.
There is a desktop in XBMCbuntu. You can either choose to log into the desktop session or an XBMC session. If you log into the XBMC session, then subsequent reboots automatically log into that session unless you exit it back to the login screen and log into the desktop.

If you do this, XBMC will no longer auto-start until you log into the XBMC session and shut it down/reboot from within XBMC.

Note that you cannot do this remotely via ssh, you have to do it locally.
how can i start the xbmc session? i can only change the user in the log in screen.
From memory (it's been a while since I played with it!) in the latest release its in the top right corner. Could be a spanner icon or similar, I forget exactly.
doesn't work. i can choose between 'xbmc' and 'xbmcbuntu'. when i log in after select one of them i get the login screen.

is there any log file i can post?
I don´t know if a logfile will help. But...let´s see

if you ssh in do a

Code:
sudo apt-get install pastebinit -y
This will install a little tool for pushing things to a pastebin site.

Now you have to enable debug logging without a GUI. This can be done in the "advancedsettings.xml". So please do

Code:
sudo nano ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

in this files you have to add:

Code:
<loglevel>1</loglevel>

between

Code:
<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

after that do a reboot, SSH in again and do a

Code:
cat $HOME/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit

and provide the link.
@David1977 - That won't help if the OP cannot login to the XBMCbuntu session, because XBMC starts once he's logged in.

@Friedrich0404 - then either your username or your password is incorrect if you are just getting returned to the login screen. Did you follow a guide when you installed this, and if so which one ? Also note that both the username & the password are CaSe SensiTive - did you write them down anywhere or make a note of them at the time?
But he is able to ssh...as he mentioned in post #3:

Quote:i disabled static ip and use dhcp again, now i can connect via ssh.

I don´t know, if my post makes sense, if he can´t login to any instance (XBMCbuntu or XBMC); as it seems to be the fact.

I agree, that the password might be incorrect...but then it´s the question, why is he able to ssh?

Different users?
thats correct, i can connect via ssh.

the password is correct. i can login via console (after strg+alt+f1) and via ssh. they use the same password.

edit
http://askubuntu.com/questions/223501/ub...login-loop

after 'sudo chown username:group .Xauthority' xbmc starts after boot the machine. when i close xbmc and login again, xbmc starts.

BUT: i don't understand why it works.

maybe i'll try to edit /etc/network/interfaces again this week and i'll see if the problem is there again.
To which user and group did you change .xauthority? Can you remember to which user and group it belongs before?
my normal username and the same group (group = same name like username). thats the user i created at the installation of xbmcbuntu.

before it was root:root. i don't know if this is normal? i've never changed something like that since i've installed xbmcbuntu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCbuntu] XBMC don't start, only see Loginscreen0