Will this be ennough for basic XBMC
Hello everyone,

I am looking at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTPC-Home-Theate...27e8490037
htpc from ebay to run xbmc (peferably on win 7 OS). I run a very basic XBMC with confluence skin with some 720P local movies streamed from my desktop server. I do watch some 1080P streamed videos from plug-ins.

But I do have a usb tv tuner I would like to hook up to this htpc and run thru Windows Media Center (That is why I would most likely put Win 7 on the box) I could run the usb tv tuner thru linux if you think it would work much better.

I have done research on the specs of this "generic" HTPC and I THINK it should run my 1080P mpeg 2 files from my live tv thru PVR just fine, but wanted to get some expert opinions before I pull the trigger. I just don't have the cash to buy a NUC at this time.

I currently have a Amazon Fire Tv which does everything perfect expect the live tv. Sometimes it just won't play the live tv video at all (Gets all scrambled and quits). It seems to do this with hardware acceleration turned on, but not when the hardware accelleration is off.

Please let me know if you think this HTPC will handle my needs! Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTPC-Home-Theate...27e8490037

"These computers are set up to be the perfect HTPC. They are running XBMC Media Center which allows you to basically get rid of your cable TV. They are very small, quite, and capable of streaming in HD. The computers can also be set up to run Windows if you so choose. All computers come with Ram, a hard drive and are in working condition. They have a HDMI port, and 8 channel audio. Additional Information 160GB SATA Hard Drive 1GB RAM Celeron E3300 Model GF9300-G-E Form Factor Mini-ITX Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 9300 CPU Socket LGA 775 Onboard Video GeForce 9300 Onboard Audio 8 Channels Onboard LAN 10/100/1000Mbps Memory Size Up to 8GB Memory Slots 2 x 240 pin DDR2 DIMM Memory Type DDR2 800 FSB Up to 1333 MHz SATA 1 x eSATA 3 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 Video Ports D-Sub + DVI-D + HDMI USB Ports 12 x USB 2.0 PCI 1 x PCI Express x16 Power Connector 24 Pin Ultra high resolution content supports > 1080P Integrates GeForce 9300 graphic engine with PureVideo HD hardware decoder for H.264, VC-1, WMV-HD, MEPG-HD contents with low CPU loading. The NVIDIA is DX10 compatible and supports hardware anti-aliasing. It is perfect for high-demand local render players. Supports smooth Stereoscopic 3D content. HDMI, VGA interface to support dual display."
Looks like good specs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-17, 00:32)nickr Wrote: Looks like good specs.

I also just figured that if it doesn't quite perform graphically, I could always put a discrete nvidia graphics card and a bit more ram to beef it up. It has a PCI-e slot for a decent graphics card.
I assume you'll be running Linux. Nvidia 9300 supports vdpau, so your video reproduction should be top notch.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-17, 00:44)nickr Wrote: I assume you'll be running Linux. Nvidia 9300 supports vdpau, so your video reproduction should be top notch.

I know a little about linux. I have a dual boot desktop with win 7 and ubuntu. But, I am definitely not an expert at all!

I will be need to be able to use my kworld usb tv tuner. I have it running on my win 7 desktop with windows media center. This is then streamed to my amazon fire tv with server WMC and my PVR client.
I will also use the Playon program on this HTPC from ebay. I need the netflix and amazon instant video for the rest of my family, lol. I am afraid the playon software will only work on a windows os. I guess I could keep Playon on my desktop I am using now and continue streaming to this HTPC, but I would like to get everything onto one box for simplicity and to keep my current desktop more free.

What will the limitations with the nividia 9300 integrated graphics be with windows? I am afraid I don't really even know what vdpau is.
Window, wouldn't have a clue. Not even sure how well windows itself will run. I avoid windows.
Windows 7 will run great on a Celeron E3300 processor. This was a great platform just a few years ago. I built at least a few E3200 and 3300 system for clients who are still using them today for day-to-day PC stuff. The Nvidia 9300 was the integrated GPU to get for HTPC at one time, before the ION with the 9400 came out. It's old school but should be no problem especially for $70 delivered.

Motherboard review here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813500035

The reviews remind me that with Zotac at that time the issue was quality and with the 9300 the thing runs pretty hot. You also won't get HD audio formats or full 3D if you care about those.
(2014-08-17, 19:46)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Windows 7 will run great on a Celeron E3300 processor. This was a great platform just a few years ago. I built at least a few E3200 and 3300 system for clients who are still using them today for day-to-day PC stuff. The Nvidia 9300 was the integrated GPU to get for HTPC at one time, before the ION with the 9400 came out. It's old school but should be no problem especially for $70 delivered.

Motherboard review here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813500035

The reviews remind me that with Zotac at that time the issue was quality and with the 9300 the thing runs pretty hot. You also won't get HD audio formats or full 3D if you care about those.

When i was responding to this earlier I was reading it on my tablet with tapatalk and I didn't see the reference to only 1GB RAM. This is certainly not enough for Windows IMHO, and probably not enough for a decent experience on Linux either. It is cheap, but it may need more RAM, particularly if that RAM is also used by the GPU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will this be ennough for basic XBMC0