Android Best Ecosystem for XBMC
Question 
Ok, So i've got a working XBMC setup at the moment, and I am pretty happy with it.

I started off with a spare mini Mac (intel core duo). It was great for webTV style things, and playback from samba but it fell drastically short on subscription based things like spotify and netflix (getting api keys was a pain and always ended up having to watch in annoying browsers, not xbmc's fault, and keeping plugins current and updated was a hassle).

My second XBMC build (which is my current) was a lot more successful. I got an OUYA, ran XBMC with Home/Launcher intent, and this meant I could use the Android ecosystem's Netflix / Spotify / iPlayer apps, but then I use a Synology NAS drive with TVHeadEnd on it along with other things to serve XBMC with content. This has been very successful and I leave it running 24/7. I even set up a VPN to the NAS drive so my Dad can make use of my TV recordings.

Now here's the issue, Android doesn't support blueray/DVD from physical disc (or at least can't decrypt it). So I toyed with the idea of buying a capture card or something and a seperate blueray so I can stream the blueray through xbmc. Overkill? Maybe.

Now i've just been given a mini-ITX motherboard with a i5 4770k(i think?), 128gb SSD, 8gb RAM - PC. This has got me thinking, I could mount the motherboard on to the back of the TV using the VESA mount. But what ecosystem should I use?

Windows? Would windows still have silverlight issues with netflix/spotify? I could always use bluestacks.. And then I could even use Steam Console mode to play games on it, as i'm sure the i5 will handle my collection.

Android (x86)? this is my tried and tested, but apart from just a huge speed boost compared to the OUYA, I wouldn't be reaping huge benefits.

Linux, At least linux has an official netflix app (Ubuntu anyway..) but again, the Android apps are updated much more frequently.

Any thoughts? I would love to be able to play bluerays as I have a blueray drive spare.
Rip your blurays to hard drive with makemkv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah that would be an option. However, the whole idea of playing bluerays is that my girlfriend has a huge blueray collection, and brings them over to watch with me. A bit of a mood kill if I have to rip them first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Ecosystem for XBMC0