I am petitioning Netflix to write an official plugin
(2014-09-13, 06:55)olsonbri Wrote: popcornmix, Can you enlighten me on how the (unofficial) NetfliXBMC plugin worked for some users? I had this plugin working for a short period on a windows based pc, but was never able to revive its function.

I never had the impression it used an external player for DRM.

Never used it but the blurb suggests another browser popup solution so no go for those of us on packaged distributions like openelec (or people who control xbmc via tablets/phones)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=178693
signed!
now that Netflix is available in Germany/Austria as well a loooot of people with XBMC will wanna use it!
For what use it will be, I've signed it.
Netflix plugin that exists basically opens chrome and signs you into Netflix and runs off of their own silver light player. Even though this would ruin the cross platform compatibility, even if it's possible to build their own player into Netflix using silverlight, that would be a step up. There are limitations but where there is a will there is a way.

I have free cable in my apartment complex and I still don't use it. I use Netflix, and I have a 10tb partition half filled with movies and tv shows. I use XBMC for everything and I love this software. The best community I've seen in any software project I've participated in, best support, best attitudes, the software works great also Wink
With NF HTML5 development, may someone can resurrect a browser based add-on in the future.
(2014-09-13, 06:55)olsonbri Wrote:
(2014-09-11, 16:15)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-09-10, 05:36)y2kbadbug Wrote: I am curious also to ask the developers here.. Is writing a plugin for Kodi an easy to do task cross-platform? I mean, could NetFlix write one plugin, and it would work among all operating systems? Could they also include their own DRM into it, would that still work with Kodi? I guess the true question for the developers, is this achievable. I believe it could be, but I am not a developer for Kodi.

xbmc internally needs unencrypted video and audio frames to feed to a variety of software and hardware video decoders.
There is no way that DRM can work with this architecture. Anyone could trivially write these packets to a file and have a DRM free version of the file.

The only way this could be implemented with DRM is if the plugin is also the video player and so xbmc never sees the video and audio frames.
It would need to be distributed in binary form (and so would not be cross-platform), none of the features you like about xbmc's video playback will be available
(much like using an external player from xbmc).

Realistically the only way Netflix will work as an add-on is if Netflix choose to drop DRM. That would be very unlikely
(not impossible - Apple/iTunes chose to do this with music a while back, although not so far with video).

popcornmix, Can you enlighten me on how the (unofficial) NetfliXBMC plugin worked for some users? I had this plugin working for a short period on a windows based pc, but was never able to revive its function.

I never had the impression it used an external player for DRM.

--bri

Honestly, all the unofficial plugin does is use a Chrome plugin to switch to chrome, open Netflix, and manipulate it through that.

Also, thanks to everyone who showed support. As I always kept saying, it's a long shot, but you never know, I like to believe anything is possible. I just really want to specify how great this community is. I love XBMC (now only if I can get it to show me all Family Guy episodes after Season 8, but that's for another topic Wink
Just wanted to re-bump this...the petition is still active, its currently at 477 of 500 signatures needed.

I have no idea if this legitimately doable, but its 100% worth a shot, I want Kodi to be the all-in-one solution.

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-write-a...merly-xbmc

Why not?
file 404.... link doesnt work. byw, im using netflix plugin but not through chrome. never worked for me, i have it run through IE.... its the only time i use IE, in the last 10 years or so. I use firefox for everything else.
While a plugin would be awesome, just adding keyboard navigation to their website would solve 99% of the issues. Then its just a matter of launching Chrome and still being able to use your remote to navigate.
(2015-07-27, 15:46)kmarq Wrote: While a plugin would be awesome, just adding keyboard navigation to their website would solve 99% of the issues. Then its just a matter of launching Chrome and still being able to use your remote to navigate.

+1
Signed.
I would love a Netflix addon, it would make my chromecast entirely useless!
While it may not be an official Netflix, I am keeping an eye on this open issue.

Those who are not familiar with Electron, it is essentially Node.js and Chromium with a handful of helper functions that can turn HTML5 into cross platform x86 executables. It is the engine under the hood of Github's Atom, Microsoft's Visual Studio Code and Slack's desktop app. The key is the ability to use Widevine DRM Chrome plugin.
Signed it, needs 7 more signatures.
Signed. Now up to 494.
-- Steve

"I just wanted a media center, not a hobby!"

HW: CPU - Intel Core i3-4130T, RAM - 4GB, Storage: 640GB, TV Tuner - HDHomeRun Connect x3
SW: OS - LibreELEC, Media Center - Kodi 18.5, Skin - Amber, PVR - TVHeadend
signed, would be great to have one working on a raspberry

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I am petitioning Netflix to write an official plugin1