AMD - yes, no ? semi-noob quest
Hi, new here but been around. Awesome media center ! Currently using Media Portal in the main Theatre - stumbled on XBMC once we finally got high (ish) speed ISP in our area (pronounced "the middle of no where")

I have an old Atom all in one board currently running xbmc nicely, sans a bit stutterish on the (HD) TV (yes, I know- any TV you buy now is HDTV, can we just go back to calling them a TV already) strictly experimental, works good but needs help.
Soooooooo- time to upgrade and get the Atom back where it belongs controlling the music in the house, period.

I'm looking at using the all in one board with AMD A4-5000 = read somewhere that it is similar to what's inside the PS4 so I figure it's gotta rock ?!! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813138412

Anyone running this chipset, or similar care to chime in on how they like it or too slow or Huh Please- lets not turn this into "I hate AMD, get an Intel "- or whatever thread. Simple enough question in my mind. I'm going this route because the board is all I need to buy, I got everything else in hand. It uses standard fare drives, etc, I'm good to go.

Dedicated XBMC streaming box, only == online content, and pull from the Theatre PC for movies, DVDRom for the occasional rental == that's it. Main concern is if good enough for 1080p and no issues w/ drivers for XBMC / openelec.

plans are to have dvdrom, XBMC, HDMI out to 42" LCD. 4Gb Ram, boot from stick, or tiny ssd. 24/7 x 365 turn it on and let it run, possibly put a tuner card on it for local junk.
Thanks in advance, input appreciated

Elvis isn't dead, He just went home
same question will this work running windows 7 need it to play 1080 vids also needs to run netflix
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
I dunno about win 7 = I've been running xbmcbuntu standalone from a 4gb sd card. Works like it should (I guess) this is a dedicated media player so I'm satisfied w/ the results. I can stream from online sources, tap into my inhouse supply of movies stored on my theatre rig - does what I need it to do. == I have no way to test netflix, nor do I care (when they raised prices and all that a couple years back, I cancelled my service. they are dead to me) Handles anything I throw at it, so it should do just fine. Hope this helps - (oh yeah go ahead and try it then let us know how it works so we can all bask in the glory)
It should be plenty for Windows. I built a bunch of E1-2100 machines which are much less of a CPU than the A4-5000 and they run fine.
Does anyone know how the A4-5000 compares with the Athlon 5350? Specifically, does it also support HD Audio passthrough and 3D (MVC/blu-ray) output?
I been out... Smile at the moon. what about a AMD Sempron 2650 or a 3850..... ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD - yes, no ? semi-noob quest0