Older i3 Vs Intel Celeron NUC
Hi all,

I am currently using a big Antec Fusion Remote case with an older i3 2100 processor. Thinking of ditching the big case and sticking all my drives in a a HP N54l, re-using the i3 for a kids desktop PC, and purchasing the Intel DN2820FYKH Celeron NUC running openelec off a usb stick. Will there be any noticible difference running XBMC using the celeron processor vs the i3? Will be running re-focus skin.

Also, best way to run couchpotato/sickbeard etc. I'm guessing using the N54l, any issues with this?

Many Thanks, still got to get permission from my wife, but doesn't hurt to ask!
1. have you read about the N2820 bugs?
2. Do you know it's been discontinued by intel? N2830 will replace it but it has not been released yet.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
I'd recommend an Asus or HP chromebox. Both are 150.00 at Amazon right now, and if you use the guide in the wiki you can easily install Linux or openELEC on the built-in 16gb SSD. They are capable of running any skin well, and fast enough even for software decoding if you prefer the video quality that provides.
2820 user here with SSD. Runs perfect. I don't run windows on it. Can do everything. No bugs here!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-08-18, 21:07)jammyb Wrote: 2820 user here with SSD. Runs perfect. I don't run windows on it. Can do everything. No bugs here!

The 2820 doesn't bitstream HD Audio via HDMI under Windows (and Intel appear to have confirmed that this is a permanent state of affairs which people had previously thought was a driver bug). It's fine under Linux though...
(2014-08-18, 22:50)noggin Wrote:
(2014-08-18, 21:07)jammyb Wrote: 2820 user here with SSD. Runs perfect. I don't run windows on it. Can do everything. No bugs here!

The 2820 doesn't bitstream HD Audio via HDMI under Windows (and Intel appear to have confirmed that this is a permanent state of affairs which people had previously thought was a driver bug). It's fine under Linux though...

Yup. But as I and the OP use openELEC. It's not a bug for us is it?

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-08-18, 23:26)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-08-18, 22:50)noggin Wrote:

Yup. But as I and the OP use openELEC. It's not a bug for us is it?

No - sorry misread your post - thought you WERE running Windows on it. I'd chose the 2955U over the N2820 because the 2955U has the better GPU (more execution units) and can do YADIF 2x de-interlacing of 1080i (which the N2820 can't AIUI)
True, but the Brix don't have S5 capable IR.

Plus I stay the hell away from 1080i. Lol.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Thanks for the replies, as I'm looking to run openelec the bug shouldn't affect me. Was looking for the best bang for buck option. I'm quite interested in opinions on using the N54l with a cheap graphics card to run XBMC, probably most cost efficient.

Is it worth using an SSD with the 2820, I'm using a USB stick at the moment and this does the job, quick enough to boot for me. If I was to run windows I'd probably chuck in an SSD, but not with this box! Like the look of the Chromebox, but based in the UK doesn't seem much availability at the moment.
I run it off 2.5" SSD. Would never run xbmc off memory stick. Art is slower to load than from SSD!

But I've moved over to PleXBMC and will soon be departing to Plex Home Theater once I get around to it

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-08-18, 23:51)jammyb Wrote: True, but the Brix don't have S5 capable IR.

Ah - I use my Chromebox with XBMC and TV Headend to watch Live and Recorded Freeview HD (which is H264 1080i in the UK) using a cheap DVB-T2 tuner.
(2014-08-19, 00:27)noggin Wrote: Ah - I use my Chromebox with XBMC and TV Headend to watch Live and Recorded Freeview HD (which is H264 1080i in the UK) using a cheap DVB-T2 tuner.

This sounds simular to what I may need. I will use it to play ripped videos, music, and watch Live TV via the WMC addon.
What do you use for a remote?
Does the Chromebox have CEC built-in? I'd like to use my TV's remote (the location for this only has a TV, no additional A/V equipment)

thx
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2014-08-19, 00:27)noggin Wrote:
(2014-08-18, 23:51)jammyb Wrote: True, but the Brix don't have S5 capable IR.

Ah - I use my Chromebox with XBMC and TV Headend to watch Live and Recorded Freeview HD (which is H264 1080i in the UK) using a cheap DVB-T2 tuner.

I have a humax box for recording freesat and freeview built in to all the tellies. Don't watch a lot of live telly. Sickbeard deals the rest.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-08-19, 01:32)Livin Wrote:
(2014-08-19, 00:27)noggin Wrote: Ah - I use my Chromebox with XBMC and TV Headend to watch Live and Recorded Freeview HD (which is H264 1080i in the UK) using a cheap DVB-T2 tuner.

This sounds simular to what I may need. I will use it to play ripped videos, music, and watch Live TV via the WMC addon.
What do you use for a remote?
Does the Chromebox have CEC built-in? I'd like to use my TV's remote (the location for this only has a TV, no additional A/V equipment)

thx

No CEC built-in. Very few x86 platforms have this.

I currently use a PS3 Bluetooth Blu-ray remote (which works with the internal BT receiver). I haven't run it long enough to comment on battery life (I have the new BT+IR remote) I have also used a standard RC6 USB receiver and Windows Media Center remote which worked fine. I don't use standby - but I believe the USB remote receiver will allow remote "wake from standby".

I'm in the UK so use a Freeview HD tuner - an August T210 (which has built in DVB-T and DVB-T2 driver support in recent builds of OpenElec)

(2014-08-19, 08:11)jammyb Wrote: I have a humax box for recording freesat and freeview built in to all the tellies. Don't watch a lot of live telly. Sickbeard deals the rest.

I like being able to archive HD recordings and make DVDs of them - so running a proprietary PVR doesn't work for me. I also prefer the XBMC+TV Headend PVR solution for secondary viewing (bedroom TVs) as live pause, nice EPG etc. all just work better than integrated Freeview IMO. I don't download stuff so can't comment on that.
After doing a bit of googling, I've noticed that the catalogue that my wife always orders from has the HP Chromebox in stock. Comes with 4gb ram on this version. Retails at £150, but as she's ordered a load of back to school tat, they have an offer that lets me get £50 off if I order at the beginning of September. So would be rude not to at £100! Now just need to convince her about the N54L...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Older i3 Vs Intel Celeron NUC0