Win XBMC doesnt play movies in correct aspect ratio
So I decided to rip some of my blu rays to store on my hard drive and then I ran them through handbrake to compress them a bit but they are not playing correctly in xbmc.

They seem to be stretched vertically and it doesn't look very good.

I tried playing the same file in VLC and it played the same as XBMC until I manually changed the aspect ratio to 2.21:1 and then it looks perfect.

Now this didn't happen to all the movies I ripped, just some of them.

So my question is how do I get them to play in the proper size in XBMC ?

I tried playing with the different view modes and they didn't do anything.

I notice when it plays properly in VLC there are black bars on the top and bottom and in XBMC I cant get it to play with any black bars except for 4:3 which isn't right either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

edit - I should add that I check the setting in handbrake to leave aspect ratio the same as original

also looks like the movies I am having trouble with are ones that are 2.35 or 2.4:1 and the ones that are originally 1.85:1 play just fine.

edit - didn't want to bump thread so will just say that I found out it was a problem with the settings in handbrake causing the issue.

I always left the 'keep aspect ratio' checked so just assumed that it would read each file and adjust accordingly however when you load a new file you need to refresh the aspect ratio or else it will just use whatever was there from last time
debug log (wiki)

mediainfo output from one of the errant files.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC doesnt play movies in correct aspect ratio0