usb stick with openelec
I read that using sd as boot and usb as data creates better performance.I am using noobs openelec but want to use usb stick as well..anyone know which usb works best with the pi?
Any name-brand USB3 stick should work well (USB3, because in theory the Flash media chip(s)/controller will be of a higher/faster standard than that used in USB2 devices, and the cost difference is not that great).

Although to be honest, now that the SD corruption problem has been solved, a good SD card will perform as well as a good USB flash drive. Increased storage and/or easier partitioning (data on USB, OS(es) on SD) would be better reasons for using SD+USB, IMHO.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-08-20, 10:14)Milhouse Wrote: Any name-brand USB3 stick should work well (USB3, because in theory the Flash media chip(s)/controller will be of a higher/faster standard than that used in USB2 devices, and the cost difference is not that great).

Although to be honest, now that the SD corruption problem has been solved, a good SD card will perform as well as a good USB flash drive. Increased storage and/or easier partitioning (data on USB, OS(es) on SD) would be better reasons for using SD+USB, IMHO.

The pI is overclocked and I thought with adding usb stick it would perform better, with loading thumbs,cache etc.
Or would I be better off just leaving it as it is?
(2014-08-20, 11:19)yaqh Wrote: The pI is overclocked and I thought with adding usb stick it would perform better, with loading thumbs,cache etc.

If you're using the SD card supplied by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, which has very good performance, it's likely to perform as well as any USB flash drive. If it meets your needs in terms of storage capacity, I can't see any real reason to change, in which case leave as it is.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-08-20, 11:23)Milhouse Wrote:
(2014-08-20, 11:19)yaqh Wrote: The pI is overclocked and I thought with adding usb stick it would perform better, with loading thumbs,cache etc.

If you're using the SD card supplied by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, which has very good performance, it's likely to perform as well as any USB flash drive. If it meets your needs in terms of storage capacity, I can't see any real reason to change, in which case leave as it is.

It's just most people said it worked better to have it boot from sd card and have usb for other things. Also better just in case of sd card corruption. I might just leave it for the time being. thanks.
I`ve got the NOOBS card and Sandisk Extreme USB 16GB

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Driv...me-USB-3.0

The Sandisk is loads faster in the real world. In theory they should be close but the Sandisk is so much faster, And doesnt seem to bottle-neck. But im running Gotham, and believe Helix is quicker again.
(2014-08-20, 16:39)stuCONNERS Wrote: I`ve got the NOOBS card and Sandisk Extreme USB 16GB

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Driv...me-USB-3.0

The Sandisk is loads faster in the real world. In theory they should be close but the Sandisk is so much faster, And doesnt seem to bottle-neck. But im running Gotham, and believe Helix is quicker again.

I am also running openelec gotham but how much faster is it with the usb?
Not sure how Im suppose to measure that. Its just quicker, But Helix has SD drivers now I think so might make it a bit quicker.
(2014-08-20, 17:43)stuCONNERS Wrote: Not sure how Im suppose to measure that. Its just quicker, But Helix has SD drivers now I think so might make it a bit quicker.

quicker in what why, do you know if this solves buffering issues? do you know what the read writes speed is of your usb stick
Buffering issues? If any, seems to be network related... Nothing to do with SD or USB.

XBMC has done a lot in terms of speed in the last year(s). Most threads suggesting you should use USB are old. It doesn't speed up booting (because boot files are on the SD card anyway), so it should only help in XBMC itself. And probably only for openening the library. But it's quite quick anyway. I have about 100 movies and it loads within 2/3 secs.

Seems to be a lot of work for little gain.
I have a rasp pi and a hummingboard. The pi runs off a usb 3.0 stick the cover art displays very slight quicker (only ms) then the hummingboard which runs off a 45mbps class 10 uhs-1 micro sd.
That's probably the only benefit up to you if you want to splash the cash.
(2014-08-21, 22:57)invisable Wrote: I have a rasp pi and a hummingboard. The pi runs off a usb 3.0 stick the cover art displays very slight quicker (only ms) then the hummingboard which runs off a 45mbps class 10 uhs-1 micro sd.
That's probably the only benefit up to you if you want to splash the cash.

I might try it with usb, how do stat again with noobs and usb? do I have to format the usb first when I get it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
usb stick with openelec0