Looking For FIrst XMBC device, list in post
Hello, looking to get my first XBMC device. But not sure which device to get. Looking to stream 720p content and Netflix must function correctly. If you have any other suggestions, please let know. Your input is highly appreciated.

1. Minix Neo x8-H - I originally had my eyes on this but I've heard that Netflix does not run well on it.

2. Amazon Fire TV

3. Asus Chromebox
Both the Chromebox and Fire TV will do what you want. The Fire TV is less expensive while the Chromebox can do more overall. What you need to decide is if you'd use the additional features that Chromebox can offer.

Research XBMC on Android for their faults.
(2014-08-20, 03:40)katsup Wrote: Both the Chromebox and Fire TV will do what you want. The Fire TV is less expensive while the Chromebox can do more overall. What you need to decide is if you'd use the additional features that Chromebox can offer.

What are some big additional features that the chrome box can do that the others can't?
EDIT: Doublepost, won't let me delete.
There is a sale for HP chrome box. Amazon $150 Newegg $155 with $20 gift card. http://liliputing.com/2014/08/deals-day-8-19-2014.html

Not sure if you can do Netflix though.
(2014-08-20, 04:35)wertyxhts Wrote:
(2014-08-20, 03:40)katsup Wrote: Both the Chromebox and Fire TV will do what you want. The Fire TV is less expensive while the Chromebox can do more overall. What you need to decide is if you'd use the additional features that Chromebox can offer.

What are some big additional features that the chrome box can do that the others can't?

HD Audio bitstreaming
Automatic refresh rate switching (so your media plays back at the right refresh rate not a fixed rate that can introduce terrible judder)
Decent de-interlacing (have heard rumblings that the Fire TV doesn't do this well)

The Chromebox is essentially a low cost x86 Intel PC which has a very good CPU/GPU for XBMC purposes.

The downside of the Chromebox is that if you want to watch Netflix I don't think it works on the Chromium browser plugin in XBMC, so you'll probably need to dual boot into Chrome OS (assuming you can watch Netflix in Chrome OS) and that will mean having a remote control solution that works for both platforms.

As a standalone XBMC box running OpenElec the Chromebox is pretty close to perfect. If you need non-XBMC stuff things are more complex.
(2014-08-20, 01:58)wertyxhts Wrote: Hello, looking to get my first XBMC device. But not sure which device to get. Looking to stream 720p content and Netflix must function correctly. If you have any other suggestions, please let know. Your input is highly appreciated.

1. Minix Neo x8-H - I originally had my eyes on this but I've heard that Netflix does not run well on it.

2. Amazon Fire TV

3. Asus Chromebox
I found this link and are hoping to find the links within to give them a test.

http://click.xda-developers.com/api/clic...um&txt=%0A

If anyone comes across them.. Could they rehost these files as the originals seemed to have dissapeared.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking For FIrst XMBC device, list in post0