HDMI passtrough vs HDMI PCM
I have a motherboard evga with HD card in it with 1 optical output.
XBMC was detecting the sound as HDMI and passing trough with no issues and the receiver was detecting the incoming sound signal correctly (DTS, etc,etc)
Recently the optical plug just broke and I've decided to replace the video card with a new one with HDMI output (My old video card has only DVI connector, that was the main reason to use the optical output embedded in the motherboard)
For my surprise when I plugged the new video card (Nvidia Asus 630) I found that the pass trough is disabled and I can only reproduce as PCM.
I have already read all the documentation from XBMC and I'm not seeing any issue with the hardware configuration
My questions are
Why I cannot passtrough the sound using the HDMI in the video card?
Do I have to get an specific video card in order to do it?
If I get a new sound card with optical output, Can I passtrough the sound then?

Thanks
What OS are you running? If you are running Windows - have you installed specific HDMI Audio drivers or just let Windows Update do it's thing? If you are running a Linux distro are you running PulseAudio or ALSA?
I'm running OpenSuse LINUX 13.1 (64 bits)
I have installed the drivers latest versions. I'm also running PulseAudio and it has been configured trough pavucontrol.

I did exactly the same for the onboard card which is able to pass trough the audio
Thanks
I could only get XBMC to HD Audio passthrough using ALSA under Ubuntu. I had to uninstall PulseAudio (otherwise the options didn't appear)
There is no HD passthrough in pulseaudio, AC3, DTS, EAC3 is everything PA can do as of today.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI passtrough vs HDMI PCM0