HTPC Video Storage/NAS
So I want to get a HTPC to run XBMC for all my video content.

I have posted several threads before and basically I've gathered that Intel NUC is best (unless there is something cheaper). I only need it to run 1080p content and thats it.

My main question is I was going to get a wifi router and have a NAS running off it, but the NAS is proving to be to expensive because I want about 8TB worth of storage. I won't run raid as it requires more storage, I'll just have a back up drive around somewhere.

Can I just have ordinary 4TB drives hanging off the NUC? Is that Ok?

or is there a cheap option for a NAS and router?
I have a 1TB usb drive connected locally to my HTPC, a NAS with 8TB internal, and a 2TB usb connected to the NAS. I set all this up in XBMC as 2 different sources: 1 for movies and one for tv shows. Everything works as it should.
Hello there OP, i'm in exactly the same quest as you.

As i see it there are 3 ways to do this:

1. Connecting the external HD directly to your HTPC or set-top-box

I own an ASUS Chromebox with USB 3.0 and OpenElec installed plus a Tronsmart Vega android box with USB 2.0 and XBMC installed.
This method works fine and is the one i currently use but i have few concerns about it:

- Dust. My 3tb HGST hdd is in a docking station so it gets a bit of dust
- Constant wake from suspend/idle. There are many times that i do things that make the hdd to wake from suspend but i end up NOT using it at all. This happens more often with my android box as some apps try to access to it for different reasons.
So the constant wake from suspend eather i use the hard drive or not is my biggest concern as it feels that is suffering too much? .What do you guys think?

2. Connecting the external HD to a decent router with NAS type capabilities supported by stock or custom OPEN firmware

Please see my comment in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9PigBJIBs. I have yet to get a reply but once i do the "using a router as a NAS" concerns will be covered.
I'm really looking at this method as i am now in need of a centralized solution.

UPDATE: http://forum.notebookreview.com/networki...orage.html - Says it all

3. Getting a real NAS or build a custom one
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
You may also consider an HTPC build with room for a couple of 4TB drives, or if you run a regular ass desktop stick em in that and share over the network

Any of the methods mentioned will work, the only one I would recommend less is attaching storage directly to a router via USB, i've found this to be something of a gimmick feature.
What NAS do you guys use?
A few qnap and 2 synology at different locations between friends and family.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
yeah i heard QNAP and synology are the best choices

thanks
All I can say is that I thought I would never use 32TB of storage but now find myself looking at 4TB drives to upgrade my existing Unraid box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Video Storage/NAS0