Android Samsung Homesync: Choppy playback of 29,97/60/25/50 fps videos
I am running XBMC Gotham 13.1 on Samsung Homesync (1.7GHz Cortex A15 dual):
- Stock firmware B9150XXUBNE1, 4.2.2
- Not root
- Wired video streaming using NFS/SMB

My HD TV is connected to Homesync via HDMI. On TV info it shows resolution: 1080p 60Hz

I have tried almost all combination settings for the video playback (refresh rate) and acceleration (HW/SW, Libstagefright/Mediacodec) in XBMC but whatever I have tried only videos with 23,976/24 fps give smooth playback over HDMI. The videos with other frame rates like 29,97/60/25/50 are choppy, , regardless SD/HD MPEG2/h.264. Pressing 'o' while playing video I can see a lot of frame drops or/and frame skips. Only the video motion is a little bit slow, the audio is still in sync.

My Windows 8.1 Samsung series 9 laptop with XBMC Gotham 13.1 and the same configuration as Homesync gives perfect playback for all frame rates!!!

So I believe there is a matching problem between decoding frame rate and the fixed Android output frame rate. I found this thread about Android automatic change of frame rate: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=183322 (post #3)

Does this mean there is nothing XBMC can do to make smooth playback on Android 4.2.2 for videos with frame rates other than 23,976/24 fps?
Problem is that XBMC has no standard way to find out the HDMI Hz on android, nor is there a standard way for XBMC to set the output Hz itself.
So, basically, anything not 60Hz on android is hit-and-miss...
(2014-08-21, 13:05)Koying Wrote: So, basically, anything not 60Hz on android is hit-and-miss...

Thank you Koying!
You meant anything not 23.976/24Hz is hit-and-miss? I do have choppy playback for 60Hz.
And there is no workaround for XBMC to temporary fix the playback problem? Root, xbmc advancedsettings etc. ?
Well, if 60Hz is choppy, it's another story. A debug log (wiki) is needed...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samsung Homesync: Choppy playback of 29,97/60/25/50 fps videos0