Android minipc for XBMC with DTS-HD MA
Hi all,
can someone help me to choose Android mini pc? I look to many products, but is hard to find what I need. Bigest problem is - DTS-HD MA, many suppliers write only about DTS supported, but who know if hd master with passthrough (without downmix)...I want XBMC on Android device, connected to A/V receiever with DTS-HD MA support and with movies from NAS on local network. Is there any option for this?
Passthrough is just that, as long as your receiver can decode it you're good. But if you care enough about sound quality to notice dts vs dts HD ma, you'll probably also notice the general "shittynes" of having a android htpc.
DTS-HD MA pass-through is rarely supported by Android devices, there have been one or two like HiMedia Q but neither are ideal platform for Kodi/XBMC. There was talk of a variant of the Amlogic S8 series chips supporting it but I'm not sure if any of them do, the one I have does not.

The box from vidonme av200 does do DTS-HD pass-through but this also runs a modified version of XBMC so it's not stock XBMC and all updates come from them.

If you dont care about Android just looking for something with no DIY and compact you should check out the Solidrun CuBox-i series (i2-ex or i4), these are like a Raspberry Pi but fully kitted out with better hardware. TrueHD and DTS-HD MA pass-through is present in the latest builds but it is still buggy and unstable as it is alpha software.

If that doesn't sound appealing but an Intel NUC and go with that instead, it's more stable.
VidOnMe AV200 looks fine, modified version of XBMC is not a win but better than nothing. But AV200 is sold out and on ebay is last one. To Cubox i4 I look earlier and because it's still unstable I'm not sure if spend money to try it. Himedia Q5II looks like best opinion, anyone here try it with XBMC/Kodi?
Why do you want an Android device? is for the apps? if not the apps then you're best sticking to a Linux/Openelec build.

Cubox i4 with Openelec should be pretty stable by now, the Freescale i.MX6 work is thought stable enough for a PR to the main XBMC repo and is pending inclusion, although perhaps Starstream has personal experience which I don't.
Yes, I want Android for the apps. In theory - if I let android go, is there some good small sized box for ubuntu+kodi or openelec with DTS-HD MA passthrough and price about $150-$200?
Intel NUC 130$ with discount:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
Sandisc ssd: 60$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820171740
Kingston 4gb memory 39$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820239311
229$
Its 30$ above budget but beats anything ARM based.
This nuc also has ir built in Smile

EDIT:
This system meets the minimum requirements of:
Win 7
Win 8
Win 8.1
Xbmcbuntu
Openelec
*most other linux distros*

For netflix i would recomend win 8/8.1 before the others.
However for extended use of netflix there is no solution on x86 devices that comes close to amazon fire tv, roku 3 or apple tv 3. Between the choice of spending 100$ on win 8 or spending 100$ on a roku + xbmcbuntu on your htpc go with the second one.
(2014-08-22, 13:57)stix Wrote: Yes, I want Android for the apps. In theory - if I let android go, is there some good small sized box for ubuntu+kodi or openelec with DTS-HD MA passthrough and price about $150-$200?
Yes, a HP or ASUS Chromebox.
From Intel forum BOXDN2820FYKH0 not support DTS-HD on Windows, but Linux working fine - this is good. If I'm not able to find Android box, I definitely use Linux. Now I found guy in my country and he selling HiMedia Q5II and next week he try DTS-HD passthrough with XBMC. I share results here and if Q5II will not be capable, than Intel NUC will be probably best choice.
How big is the price difference?
$120 with shipping for Q5II
Is 100$ a lot for Americans compared to average salary? (guessing you're from America)
For Americans probably not, I'm from Czech Republic ;-) but this is not important for this thread. I have results from Q5II seller - DTD-HD MA and True-HD working with default media player and in XBMC he doesn't see option "passthrough". I think if hardware is ok and it works on android, he can only have something set up badly. Now best option looks like to try Q5II and backup plan sold it and save money for Intel NUC :-D
Ok, just curious but then you're the wrong person to ask. As long as you're sure you'll be able to sell it then yes trying can't hurt. Get back to us with your results Smile
Are Vidon releasing source code for their XBMC modifications that enable HD Audio - or are they using an external player. Personally I would avoid paying money to a company if they aren't respecting the XBMC source code licences. However if they are then I'd be happy to consider them - though we'll need Android to support refresh rate changing on the fly before I take it seriously (Rumours that the forthcoming Android TV releases will need to do so)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android minipc for XBMC with DTS-HD MA0