XBMC with chromebox
Thanks to anyone with some valuable input on this from someone who is a bit computer illiterate. I have recently bought an xp chromebox specifically to use as an htpc with xbmc. After some research I see to install openelec, there are several procedures that I do not really want to go through? I'm assuming I can just download it to the chromebox direct like I have on my other computer and run it that way? What are the advantages of going the Openelec route? A couple other things:

1. can I use a yatse remote with this setup?
2. Is it not possible to just download openelec on thumbdrive and then insert into chromebox then voila?

rance
1) Yes
2) No, it's not possible. You can follow the steps in the first post of this thread.
Thanks for the reply, I saw that thread but that's where the computer illiterate part comes in. Not really sure how to do all that. I get the device prep part but not sure about the "script", dual boot, stanalone etc. Anyway you could dumb this down extra for me knowing I would be using a usb drive?

thanks again

rance
It's not that hard to do, but if you think it's beyond your grasp you probably shouldn't attempt it. I'm not sure it's possible to simplify the instructions any further. Maybe you should have gotten a NUC instead?

Do you know any computer savvy people who could give you a hand?
Well let's say I have prepared the device already. It seems the standalone setup is a bit easier. So can I just start with step 5 and then go to step 6? If I do step 5 do I need step 6? If step 5 is all I need will I need and extra usb to back up original os? Thought maybe more specific questions would help some. I understand a good deal of this but it really isn't that clear to the lay person.
(2014-08-22, 03:42)abc123doeraymej Wrote: Well let's say I have prepared the device already. It seems the standalone setup is a bit easier. So can I just start with step 5 and then go to step 6? If I do step 5 do I need step 6? If step 5 is all I need will I need and extra usb to back up original os? Thought maybe more specific questions would help some. I understand a good deal of this but it really isn't that clear to the lay person.

option 5 updates the firmware, which essentially turns the ChromeBox into a "normal" PC.

option 6 creates the OpenELEC USB install stick, which you boot with an use to install OpenELEC onto the internal HDD.

no need to back up ChromeOS.

If you have specific suggestions on how I can make the instructions in either the wiki or the setup script thread more clear, I'm happy to listen.
I don't think it's your instructions it just seems that this stuff is always written with the idea that people have some knowledge about this kind of stuff. I really am interested in learning but need my hand held so to speak even when it seems to be clear. So if you don't mind, here goes:

With the device powered off:
Phase 1:
Insert a paperclip into the hole left of the SD card slot and press the recovery button
Power on the device, then remove the paper clip
When greeted with the recovery screen, press [CTRL-D] to enter developer mode
Press the recovery button (with paperclip) to confirm.

Phase2:
With the device powered off and unplugged:
Remove (4) rubber feet from bottom of unit
Remove (4) screws under rubber feet
Separate two halves of unit. Tip: partially insert the screw removed from the notched end, but do not re-thread it. Use it to help separate the two halves.
Remove write-protect screw circled below:
Inside-chrome1.jpg
Reassemble in reverse order
The write-protect screw can be left out permanently.

Phase3:
Power on and boot to ChromeOS. DO NOT LOG IN TO ChromeOS, but do ensure a network connection is set up
Hit CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to command prompt
Login with user chronos (no password required for ChromeOS; ChromiumOS uses 'password')
Download and run the setup script with the commands:
curl -L -O http://goo.gl/3Tfu5W
sudo bash 3Tfu5W

The commands curl -L etc, is that one space between? Do I hit enter prior to the second line sudo?

Phase 4:

Hit 5 enter.

Phase 5:
Install usb with openelec 86x 4.0 .

Is 5 hat all there is to it? Did I miss something, told you I need my hand held. Thanks for your time.

Rance
(2014-08-22, 04:16)abc123doeraymej Wrote: I don't think it's your instructions it just seems that this stuff is always written with the idea that people have some knowledge about this kind of stuff. I really am interested in learning but need my hand held so to speak even when it seems to be clear. So if you don't mind, here goes:

With the device powered off:
Phase 1:
Insert a paperclip into the hole left of the SD card slot and press the recovery button
Power on the device, then remove the paper clip
When greeted with the recovery screen, press [CTRL-D] to enter developer mode
Press the recovery button (with paperclip) to confirm.

Phase2:
With the device powered off and unplugged:
Remove (4) rubber feet from bottom of unit
Remove (4) screws under rubber feet
Separate two halves of unit. Tip: partially insert the screw removed from the notched end, but do not re-thread it. Use it to help separate the two halves.
Remove write-protect screw circled below:
Inside-chrome1.jpg
Reassemble in reverse order
The write-protect screw can be left out permanently.

Phase3:
Power on and boot to ChromeOS. DO NOT LOG IN TO ChromeOS, but do ensure a network connection is set up
Hit CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to command prompt
Login with user chronos (no password required for ChromeOS; ChromiumOS uses 'password')
Download and run the setup script with the commands:
curl -L -O http://goo.gl/3Tfu5W
sudo bash 3Tfu5W

The commands curl -L etc, is that one space between? Do I hit enter prior to the second line sudo?

yes, single spaces. each line is a separate command, so yes, hit enter after each.

Quote:Phase 4:

Hit 5 enter.

Phase 5:
Install usb with openelec 86x 4.0 .

Is 5 hat all there is to it? Did I miss something, told you I need my hand held. Thanks for your time.

Rance

after you select option 5 (to flash the custom firmware), you need to create the OpenELEC USB install media. You can either do that using option 6 of the script, or you can manually download/create the USB on your PC etc. After you have the install media created / connected to the ChromeBox, reboot and hit {ESC] then [2] to boot from the USB, and follow the instructions to install OpenELEC on the internal hard drive.
Okay, so to make it easy I need to select option 6 after I go through 5 and reboot? Then after that put usb with openelec in and reboot again? Then I awake to endless hours of xbmc viewing excitement or will I need to sacrifice a goat 1st?

Thanks so much.
(2014-08-22, 14:50)abc123doeraymej Wrote: Okay, so to make it easy I need to select option 6 after I go through 5 and reboot? Then after that put usb with openelec in and reboot again? Then I awake to endless hours of xbmc viewing excitement or will I need to sacrifice a goat 1st?

Thanks so much.

no, you only reboot after creating the install media (#6). If you reboot before, you won't be able to get back into ChromeOS and re-run the script. When the firmware update completes, it even tells you that you should create the install media
okay, thanks, so 5 then 6 reboot and then put usb in with openelec or reboot with usb already in?
(2014-08-22, 18:08)abc123doeraymej Wrote: okay, thanks, so 5 then 6 reboot and then put usb in with openelec or reboot with usb already in?

option 6 creates the OpenELEC USB install media, so the USB is already connected to the ChromeBox, unless you remove it afterwards, which would be silly since you're going to boot to it. Just reboot after finished creating the install media.
i see, it's finally starting to make sense, I think I may give it a go. Words like boot, reboot really mean nothing to me which is part of the problem. Like I said, it would be nice if this stuff was written for the totally inept. Thanks once again, I will let you know how it goes.

rance
(2014-08-22, 18:27)abc123doeraymej Wrote: i see, it's finally starting to make sense, I think I may give it a go. Words like boot, reboot really mean nothing to me which is part of the problem. Like I said, it would be nice if this stuff was written for the totally inept. Thanks once again, I will let you know how it goes.

rance

There's only so much I can do to simplify a process that involves physically modifying the hardware, flashing custom firmware, and bypassing security restrictions on a box which is designed as a locked-down, single-purpose web appliance.

The only thing I could really do to make things easier would be to just sell the box pre-modded.
This is bad, does it matter when I put the usb in?

i get it man, and I appreciate the help, its not so much the process as it is trying to understand the process. I'm excited to try it.

rance

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with chromebox0