xvid blocky when resolution 1080p (ok at 720p)
I've noticed all of my files with xvid codec look really blocky when played with the resolution set to 1080p. When I set the resolution to 720p they look sharper and do not look pixelated. I'm presuming theres something going wrong with the upscaling. My hardware is an Athlon X2 6000 with a 512MB Geforce 8600GT gfx and 4GB RAM.

Anyone seen this before and know of a solution? I've tried messing with the video play back settings, post processing etc always the same blocky playback?
H264 files do not suffer from this.
Yeah - check the upscaler. Lanczos3 Optimized should improve that a lot. Post a Debug Log to be sure.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
There are also some xvid/mpeg-4 files out there don't run very well with VDPAU. Cause in that time when xvid and those were popular the standards were quite soft, so every second video decodes properly. So: Debug Log :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
thanks for reply debug log here.
after your suggestions Lanczos3 Optimized is the best upscaler. Its only on the odd old encode I have. My xvid collection is diminishing and being replaced by H264 where I can anyway.
I looked briefly through the log, you are playing a:
Quote:512x384

xvid file. upscaling that one to 1920x1080 is quite of a hard job :-) 4x scaling is not that easy.
If you reencode h264 and upscale look into:
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Nnedi3/nnedi3_rpow2
It does an amazing job. It is not easy to use - but in general upscaling without artifacts is very hard to do.

For important SD content - If it is interlaced i use nnedi3_rpow2 + QTGMC. The playback is usually much better than original.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xvid blocky when resolution 1080p (ok at 720p)0