Linux NAS migration - an experience
Hi guys,

Just thought I would share this with you.
Been running Gotham 13.1 XBMCBuntu on a Gigabyte Brix for the past few months and have to say the whole XBMC thing has been a great experience - kudos to all those involved.
Recently got a new Synology NAS as my aging Seagate NAS was showing signs of immenant failure (kinda glad really as the thing sucked big time and was pretty old).
I had a few growing pains with the Synology & getting NFS to work with XBMC but managed to overcome those.
So for the past 3 weeks I have been running the Synology with all my media content. Yesterday I finally copied the last of the family stuff & all my other data off the Seagate to the Synology & pulled the plug on the Seagate.

Sat down last night to watch Game of Thrones and XBMC threw up a 'Prepairing...' message as it started it's scan after turning on the Brix. That's as far as it got - XBMC was as slows as Molassas trying to browse any folders and no content would play.
Initially the penny didn't drop that I had turned off the Seagate - why would it have anything to do with that? I had already migrated the media, set up the sources and I knew that XBMC was seeing the content on the Synology as I had watched new content that was not on the Seagate.

When the penny finally did drop I fired up the Seagate & restarted XBMC and everything was back to normal. This simply did not make any sense.
Today I had another go. Turn off the Seagate & problem returns.

Checked all the sources in XBMC, checked the sources.xml files in /System/userdata & in the profiles folder and all sources were directed to the Synology.
So:
* Removed all sources (with Seagate still on)
* Turned off Seagate & restarted XBMC which returned to slow mode
* Checked the XBMC log & searched for the IP address of the Seagate & sure enough I could see errors where XBMC was attempting to access the Seagate
* Turned the Seagate back on & was able to quickly remove the sources
* Re-added the sources to the Synology & turned off the Seagate & restart XBMC - slow again
* Again checked the log & again could still see errors pointing to the Seagate
* Seagate back on
* Remove sources
* Using windows I removed \System\userdata\Database\MyVideosxx.db & MyMusicxx.db
* Restarted XBMC and it sprang to life
* Re-added the Synology sources but initially the database scan would flash up & no content would be added to the library
* Re-started XBMC and the library scanned and all content has been restored and XBMC is flying once more.

So somehow the databases had stored some absolute path to the Seagate that was not visible in any of the sources.xml files (I have a master profile & two others)

So if any of you guys know how to stop the absolute path being stored in the db I'd like to know just in case.

Regards

-slip
The answer is in the Debug log (wiki) you dindt add with your very detailed explanation of the issue.
I suspect you probably forgot to clean your library.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
When you removed the Seagate sources, did you set their content to "None" then remove them from the GUI, or did you just delete them from sources.xml?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi Chaps,

Thanks for responding.

uNiversal - I apologise for lack of logs. I only thought to post my experience after I had fixed the issue, by which time there were no logs to post.
nickr & Millhouse - Library had been cleaned when I added the Synology initially. The first point where I removed the sources in my original post was done from within XBMC and at that point I also cleaned the library so that I had no content on the XBMC. (I used to own a WD Live TV - and library cleaning kinda got engrained)
That's why I got a bit confused as to why I was having these issues. As stated a db wipe and re-scrape seemed to sort all issues. So a ghost in the machine Smile

I thought I would post mainly to share the events and if anyone knew if the db stored the absolute path. I have since migrated to a mysql db on the Synology and can see that the path is stored in the db.
That seems to be workimg well. Now if only I can get the path substition for the Thumbnails working! That will be my little task for next weekend.

Regards
-slip
Yes, sources are not just what you add in videos > files, once you added it and remove it, the path still stored in DB, my guess is because the source was unplugged or turned off it caused a massive delay becuse it going through the source recursively. See http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13602 then you you plugged the source back in it was much faster. If you had the logs you would see exactly that.

Killing the db fixed obviously. Not surprisingly.
(2014-08-26, 10:53)slip.cougan Wrote: I have since migrated to a mysql db on the Synology and can see that the path is stored in the db.

That's why to completely remove the source you should set its content type to "None", so that all the matching paths in the db will be removed.

(2014-08-26, 10:53)slip.cougan Wrote: Now if only I can get the path substition for the Thumbnails working! That will be my little task for next weekend.

Please, don't waste your time if you plan on using Path Substitution so that you can "share" your thumbnails between multiple clients. It's not designed for that, and you'll only bugger up the thumbnails on all of your clients.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks Millhouse,
You obviously saved me a ton of effort.
Cheers
-slip

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS migration - an experience0