Linux xbmcbuntu on ECS Liva hardware
I am considering the purchase of a Liva system http://www.ecs.com.tw/LIVA/ for ru nning xbmc , however I see that they have "beta" drivers for ubuntu 13.x and nothing for 14.04
http://www.ecs.com.tw/LIVA/support.html

I also read elsewhere about issues booting certain linux distros, I think because it must use EFI boot.

Also questions relating to hardware acceleration , hoping it is not another cedar trail type nightmare

Has anyone any experience with xbmcbuntu or ubuntu 14.04/xbmc on these machines?
xbmcbuntu doesn't support UEFI
What about XBMC running on say ubuntu? Anyone tested this hardware that way?
I would be shocked if you couldn't get it to work with Ubuntu 14.04. A lot of companies like ECS won't even bother listing any linux drivers.

That being said, I think there's a fanless Gigabyte Brix that is about the same price as the LIVA that you might want to consider as well. You'll probably get a little bit better support from Gigabyte than from ECS.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-Cel...B00KR0QHXW
Ned not all countries have all models that you suggest and international shipping and importation drives the price way up.

The topic is the liva please stick to that rather than suggesting something different a that should be considered off-topic as I did not seek alternatives to the liva in op nor any subsequent reply.
Fair enough, but ECS in general seems to be the "cheap brand", and I wouldn't wait on them directly to provide/point to proper drivers. You were pretty pissed before about Pivos skipping one bugfix release, so if "official" support is high on your list, then ECS is probably not a good fit for you.
Ned ,

Pivos claimed "Official XBMC Support" or something like that,

This is standard Intel hardware aside from a possible quirk, it should work as long as the same chips work on a different mobo. Not really rocket surgery.

At this point I have the Liva running lubuntu and xbmc 13.2 . I am having some video tearing issues but as I recall I had to tweak some things on a 1037u board recently too for the exact same problem as I recall
I would be interested to have someone try openelec on one of these machines :-)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nickr
I would be happy to but just discovered my Wifi/Bluetooth card (or slot?) is dead. I had not yet tested it. I tried openelec long ago on ATV1 but could not hack it as I wanted to so been running CB2 on ATV1 ever since.

Anyone else who wants to know the tearing problem was resolved on lubuntu 14.04 with sudo apt-get update . So much for the checkbox to download and install updates in lubuntu.

I have a remaining problem that the wireless keyboard stops working at loading or unloading a video. As I yet have no remote configured so It is a problem. WIll make separate post elsewhere

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcbuntu on ECS Liva hardware0