Video for some movies is not smooth
Hi all,
I know the amount of threads like this is over 9000 but i tried everything i could find (and understand) on these forums and i'm stuck. I'm running an HTPC based on APU A4-3400 and some of my movies noticeably skip frames (or pause for a fraction of a second). This is annoys me greatly Sad

I tried playing around with the sync video and sync screen settings within inspector and although they affect the behavior (it gets worse or with different intervals) it doesnt fix it.
I disabled windows aero
xbmc is running as shell (so there is no explorer in the background)
i updated to the latest video drivers
when i check memory/cpu/gpu none of them seem to be really busy (all below 50%) + the fact that its not in all movies suggests its not the hardware (i think)

I pressed "o" while running one of the movies and in the bottom line where the 'refresh' is listed and also 'error' i can get two types of behavior depending on the settings (sync video/screen) either the error keeps changing but is always between 30 and 70% OR it is 0% but every now and then jumps to 100% (at the same moment the movie freezes for a fraction of a second)
for movies that work the error stays below 4%

I've enabled debug mode and there i found that the movie runs at 21fps to 23fps instead of 24fps like the movies that are not glitchy. The movie itself is 23.976fps and my tv supports 24fps and properly switches to that (for the moment i have that fixed)

can you guys please help a bit? i tried to read the debug log but... well you know... it's just a bunch of text to me Sad

thanks in advance!

jiq

edit: running xbmc 13.2 since today, but it didnt change from 13.1
They'll need your debug log that you've been looking at to help you further. When trying to troubleshoot a very similar issue on my system, they also asked for a screenshot of my current audio settings.
Yep. There is a reason for the sticky posts in this forum.
I had the same problem with a few movies. Disabling dxva solved the problem.
Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies and apologies for the lack of information. Here goes:

Setup: 4gb RAM, APU A4-3400, Win7 32bit, Sony Bravia KDL-42W829B
Media file: http://pastebin.com/GSqdv6R1
Debug log of 2 minutes of play time: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=274583
audio settings: http://imgur.com/HGDfwvB

When i play the file with VLC there is some stuttering as well but it's not regular like in xbmc but system resources are still not above 50% usage.

I appreciate the help a lot, let me know if i can get you more info or if i need to test anything. Is a debug log of a movie without problems useful?

cheers

jiq
Are any of your sources over a network? Are you using wifi? If so, check the bandwidth of the network/wifi to the bandwidth of the file you're trying to play.

So when you say not above 50%, is it near 50%? Sometimes depending on how you view your CPU usage it could be showing you that the single threaded program is using only 1 core to its maximum 100% which would show up as 50% in a dual core computer since the 2nd core would be unused. I'm not sure if XBMC/Kodi is multi threaded and takes advantage of multi cores. So maybe your CPU really is maxed out? But seems unlikely for a 2.7GHz processor, but it is using the cpu gfx.

EDIT: pimp... Time to post is 00:00
@Skram0: Thanks for the suggestions. Everything is played local; I was talking about the individual cores, so i dont really think it could be hardware limits
@baijuxavior: Thanks for this suggestion. Disabling DXVA2 solved the problem!! However, now i like to know a bit more. Hardware acceleration is supposed to be good right? How can it fuck up things this bad? Should I update DX or something or is there anything else i can do to have smooth playback with hw accelleration? or am i better of without (cpu doesnt seem stressed about it so its definitely an option)

Cheers!
My system is amd A6 based and use onboard display. I use xbmc compiled from source code. I tried a version compiled in April and the playback was smooth. Then later with compiles from may onwards the playback was not smooth for a few movies. I don't know what changed in between. Disabling dxva2 fixed the problem. I can post debug log of the two versions if that helps to pinpoint the problem.
you make it sound like it's a bug in xbmc, if thats the case it should be fixed... did you report this?

but yeah could you add the debug logs? it might be interesting to see the diff

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video for some movies is not smooth0