WIP Improving Windows "build deps" download scripts
Hello,

I am new to developing for XBMC (err..."Kodi" Big Grin), and since I'm currently struggling with the build deps scripts, I thought I would improve them, for the general good of the community. The first thing I've done is to add support for specifying a custom mirror (the default mirror happened to be down when I was first trying to download Kodi's dependencies). I've since thought of a couple of other improvements that I think people would like:
  • Writing the detailed spew (e.g., the output of 'unzip' commands) into a log file rather than the console
  • Colorizing important text (such as "download failed"), so that it's more noticeable
  • Reporting a list of failed packages at the end of the script, so that if there were any errors, these are made clear to the developer

Question:
One thing that caught my attention is that there are two kinds of packages on the "deps" mirrors: (1) those that have been pre-packaged to be unzipped directly into the xbmc file system ("formed" packages), and (2) those that need post-processing. According to the comments in the 0_packagelist.txt file, the "formed" packages are the "new" way, whereas the others are "old". Is the intention to convert all of the old-style packages into the new "formed"-style packages, and then do away with the old ones entirely? Assuming this is the desired direction to go, I would be willing to do the work of repackaging the old ones to use the new package structure. I'd just need to know how/where to upload the new ones to be distributed to the mirrors.

If the "old" packages were all converted to the "new" package structure, then I think I could coalesce everything down to just one or two batch files...there'd be no need for a separate get_formed.bat, for example. Having it all in one script would make it much easier to do a good job of reporting errors to the user (passing information between batch files is...hard).

Thoughts?
be carefull - we might need this stuff in a splitup way for working with our continuous integration (jenkins.xbmc.org) - not sure - a windows dev would need to jump in here...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The old packages can be migrated to the current packagelist format. Not sure how long we'll keep that as we slowly move to a cmake based buildsystem. Using precompiled libs was a good idea when we started but today we have a mess of different dlls from the same lib floating around. The goal is to compile every third party lib on our own (like ist done with depends on Linux/OSX) one day.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improving Windows "build deps" download scripts0