3770K HTPC :)
So in January I built a new desktop after getting to take advantage of Intel Retail Edge, where my i7 3770K system was rebuilt as an i7 4930K system. Suffice it to say I have a LOT of spare parts and an upcoming need for an XBMX/Steam machine in my living room when I move out in two months rather than using the AMD based one my roommate has in our living room now.

Parts I already have:

Intel i7 3770K (Can overclock to 4.3ghz easily)
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Corsair CX500 500w PSU
Xigmatek Asgard II ATX Tower

So yeah, pretty much an ENTIRE PC ready to go... I've set out to get some other parts.

Patriot Sector 5 8GB RAM Kit. (My other XBMC box had 16GB of this stuff and I just pulled half of it from that box.
Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green Hard Drive (This drive is five years old and still spinning. I pulled it from my DrivePool storage array, replacing that with a 5TB. 2TB should be enough for Windows 7, Steam, XBMC and whatever else.
PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDD5 (I got this for $60 used off a friend when she was upgrading)

"Well gosh Izumi, it seems you're building yourself a gaming PC!". Sorta! I fell in LOVE with using Steam Big Picture Mode on my AMD A8-3870K machine and I think that a machine like this can be a great console in the living room too. Steam also explains the use of the 2TB HDD. Now, enough with bragging about building the HTPC from hell, here's where I'm looking for some help:

Cooling: The machine has a Corsair H60 liquid cooler and frankly, it's loud. Even more frankly, I'm pretty sure it's way cooler on the stock Intel air cooler and it doesn't help that the 3770K won't idle lower than 1.6ghz. So while not the first thing to put in there, making it quieter is an issue I'd like to address. I'm okay with noise while gaming but it idles a bit loud even.

Remote: I actually really like MediaGate's MCE remote ( http://www.amazon.ca/MediaGate-Certified...=MediaGate ) And I've used one for my HTPC and two others I built for other people. Problem was, it was a lot more common and less expensive even just a year ago. Are MCE remotes just out of production? I'm unsure if I want to spend $50 on a remote that used to cost me $25. On the other hand, I really like the idea of having the same style remote for all machines to make them nice and accessible)

Case: A tower is well... A tower. It'll work but maybe something more suitable? I realize that with a full ATX board limits the options but I'd like to maybe get a suitable HTPC case and this would also allow me to use the Xigmatek tower for my server, as it turns out my server tower is a little 'short' and some components would fit better in a full length tower like the Xigmatek one. http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...-_-Product This one I sorta like, it comes in black, silver, blue and green. The cheery colors give a bit of a game console look? I sorta like that, but I'm wondering what else I could use for a full ATX HTPC case.

Controllers: Cause it plays games! Right now I use a grey market Xbox 360 wireless dongle on my other machine and official Xbox 360 Wireless controllers. Should I look into Xbox One controllers for the next box? Maybe Logitech's Xinput controllers? Or just get more 360 controllers so everything is nice and interchangeable?
Just on the remote question, I have seen some other nice looking MCE remotes on here for a lot less than that. If I find some of the posts I'll report back, but $50 is over the top IMHO these days.

Actually one I was thinking of was this one, but it's a bit butt ugly.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40...e&_sacat=0

Remotes again: There are some real cheapies that claim to be MCE compatible on dx.com. I have found them completely reliable, if a little slow if you take the free shipping. eg

http://www.dx.com/p/wireless-multimedia-..._m_Z6a14pk
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
First of you might want a new psu, your cpu/GPU combo draws enough power that you might see stability issues. Test with prime 95+msi Kombustor (or other GPU burn in software) to confirm.

Remote is a matter of taste, I personally couldn't find a solution I liked and went with a dinovo edge(should have gone for the mini).

Choosing a case is also a matter of taste. I'm currently using a Silverstone gd07 usb3, love the case hate the assembly and the cable guiding. Fractal design node 605 also looks gorgeous. If you want to go the tower way then fractal design define r4 looks great and doesn't scream "I'm a computer". If you want something with "cooler" design and don't mind changing mb then bitfenix prodigy(available in black, white and orange) and bitfenix phenom are great looking cases that look a bit more interesting than most cases.

What controller is however a simple question; xbox 360 wireless.
(2014-08-24, 21:53)RaggSokk3n Wrote: First of you might want a new psu, your cpu/GPU combo draws enough power that you might see stability issues. Test with prime 95+msi Kombustor (or other GPU burn in software) to confirm.

Firstly, I screwed up. It's not a CX500, it's a CX600, my bad. And the PSU will be fine, because when the 3770K was a mainline workstation, that was it's power supply, along with a Radeon HD 7950 and four hard drives. So you could say it's 'Battle Tested'.

(2014-08-24, 21:53)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Remote is a matter of taste, I personally couldn't find a solution I liked and went with a dinovo edge(should have gone for the mini).

Yeah, I'm even checking out eBay to see if I can locate used Mediagate ones.

(2014-08-24, 21:53)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Choosing a case is also a matter of taste. I'm currently using a Silverstone gd07 usb3, love the case hate the assembly and the cable guiding. Fractal design node 605 also looks gorgeous. If you want to go the tower way then fractal design define r4 looks great and doesn't scream "I'm a computer". If you want something with "cooler" design and don't mind changing mb then bitfenix prodigy(available in black, white and orange) and bitfenix phenom are great looking cases that look a bit more interesting than most cases.

USB3 in the front is certainly something I'd want. This Apevia case is only USB2, for some strange reason has Firewire in the front, and is apparently from 2008 in terms of design. But pickings are slim if interested in a 'Bridge' type ATX case with some fun colors.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3770K HTPC :)0