HEVC (H265, X265) what you think ?
Just installed Helix Alpha 2, so far, no major issues Smile

HEVC support is a welcome addition! CPU usage is high anywhere between 40% to 98% (usually hovering around 60-70%) across all 4 cores this is on low cost AMD chip. Will test it on Intel system later.

What is your take on HEVC?
This is normal as there is no hardware acceleration for HEVC yet.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
yeah the CPU usage doesn't bother me, I re-encoded few 1080p movies into HEVC and I got them to around 3GB size, image quality is just like h264 at 8-14gb size Smile
Can you upload a comparison? Just use a recent ffmpeg to cut approx 60 seconds sample without reencoding - would be cool.

h264 @4.1 high with 21 vs your favorite hevc settings.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-08-23, 21:16)nekrosoft13 Wrote: I re-encoded few 1080p movies into HEVC and I got them to around 3GB size, image quality is just like h264 at 8-14gb size Smile
No it's not. x264 is actually more efficient than H.265 at this early stage, and looks better at the same bitrate. Way to buy into the marketing hype though.
Also remember doing visual comparisons can be very relative from person to person. What I'd want to see is some technical tests, some zoomed screenshots or something like that. Maybe some visual temporal tests or color graphs or something geeky. Ask an old lady to visually compare a DVD movie to a Blu-ray movie and she'd most likely say they're the same. I know blah blah blah 265 can compress better than 264, but bring on the tests and the encoding settings that work best.. Smile
Do we have any samples for H265 1080P video?
I would like to test it on DN2820FYKH.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1775902
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC (H265, X265) what you think ?0