Gotham - How to remove a redundant source
Hi all,
I'm a first-time XBMC user, with the software installed on Win7/64. Until I get this all set up the way I want, I will use the Confluence skin.

How do you remove a path from a library? When I added movies, I first added an SMB path to my NAS folder (SMB://MEDIA-NAS/MOVIES). Without thinking, I also added the mapped drive path to the same folder (M:\). Now, of course, every movie has two entries. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to remove one of the two paths. Adding is easy, removing....not so much. In VIDEOS->Libraries, if I select MOVIES it just lists Genres, title, year, etc.

I would also like to add a source to the home banner for HOME VIDEO, if that's possible. I want to keep this separate from MOVIES and TV SHOWS, and not have to navigate menus-deep as this is a family entertainment centre, intended to be used by non-computer people.

Basically, when XBMC starts up at the home screen, I want my highly-non-geeky older family members to have exactly three choices: TV Shows, Movies and Home Movies (as well as settings and exit, but they do know enough not to mess around in settings and if they exit, to get back in easy enough with the remote). Can this be done? Thankee.
As far as removing a source...

If you go the files browser, through the videos--> files, then highlight the redundant source and use the context menu (keyboard press "c") to bring up the remove source option.

For custom home menu options, a la "home movies", you'll need to use a skin other than the default Confluence. Most other skins allow custom home menu items.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2014-08-24, 18:10)thrak76 Wrote: As far as removing a source...

If you go the files browser, through the videos--> files, then highlight the redundant source and use the context menu (keyboard press "c") to bring up the remove source option.

Well, good news and bad. I figured out how to remove the duplicated drive but...it wasn't duplicated. Only D:\ and M:\ show up (both my movie paths). Yet when I press "C" there are still some that have an SMB path, and I have NO idea where that reference is...meaning I have hundreds upon hundreds of duplicate entries in my movies list. I do know that when I first set up my movies folder I did choose and SMB path, which I then corrected to M:\, but for whatever reason the links to the SMB path are still there. Any way to list every single link or what can I do to make these go away??!!Sad
The sources.xml in your userdata folder will list all sources, and you can delete extras there. Restart xmbc after deletions.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Still something badly wrong.

After the change to the Sources.xml file and system re-start, if I go into Videos - Files - Movies I see the titles listed properly. If I go back to the home screen and select movies, I'm still seeing hundreds of duplicates, and all of the bad dupes have SMB:// locations. I should note that the SMB path *is* correct, but it's pointing to the same path as mapped drive "M:\" -- hence the dupes.

This is crazy!
I forgot to also say - clean the library to remove links to titles no longer in the library.
That did not work either. I wound up deleting the videos**.db file and rebuilding all the libraries. A bit of a PITA but it seemed to work.
Clean library will only remove items that are not accessible anymore. In this case both files existed, which is why they weren't removed
Would there have been a more elegant solution than deleting and re-creating the database? For an app that's otherwise incredibly slick, this seems to be a bit of a pain, for an operation that's not all that uncommon (something added in error, deleted and re-created).
When you remove a file source in the XBMC GUI it will ask if you want to apply that removal to the library. Say yes. If you don't then you will have a "phantom" source that exists in the DB but not in the GUI.

If you didn't say "yes" then you need to re-add the source and then remove it again so it will ask the question again.

It's messy, I know.
Yeah, so far, of all the things I've messed with, the library functions are infinitely more complicated than they really need to be, and far more so than in MediaBrowser or Plex. Maybe the devs could find a way to rework this for the next major release? Maintaining and modifying a library is probably the first and foremost part of an HTPC after all. Oh well, all's good now.

I'm still trying to find a way to add a home screen shortcut (in a different skin) for my home movies and my, ahhhhhh, "other" collection.
I believe managing library sources is getting a major improvement thanks to some of the media import/library sharing work being done.
This is great news. From the perspective of a complete beginner, having never seen or heard of XBMC before last Friday, I can tell you that the idea of launching the app for the first time, going to "Library" and just adding mapped or UNC paths as the first thing one sees/does should be obvious. Likewise, mistakes in first-time setup are very likely to occur at this stage.

For all it's infinite flexibility, I think part of that hurts XBMC's adoption in much the same way that Linux can be intimidating, even with a GUI shell. I love options--the ability to customize an app or an OS to within an inch of its life (and then some), but having things like a "Beginner mode" with just a few options and a fast setup-to-run time would be an ideal thing.
(2014-08-26, 14:51)DXer Wrote: For all it's infinite flexibility, I think part of that hurts XBMC's adoption in much the same way that Linux can be intimidating, even with a GUI shell. I love options--the ability to customize an app or an OS to within an inch of its life (and then some), but having things like a "Beginner mode" with just a few options and a fast setup-to-run time would be an ideal thing.

^^ Good ideas here.

Kodi is definitely a fiddler's paradise, and it does make it difficult to set up and run quickly. If I hadn't read some tutorials and joined the forum before actually installing, I'd probably not have had such a great initial impression.
The library sources update is great but I believe it will be helix+1 (Kodi 15) alpha build our later before we'll see it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham - How to remove a redundant source0