Linux Install Kodi as second version
Hi,

I currently use Gotham on my main HTPC and all the family uses it as well. However I would like to give the new version a go but without the possibility of messing up the settings that I currently have

Is there any way I can install a second version of XBMC/Kodi on my machine and choose to run it when I want to play?

Thanks
Compile xbmc yourself using a different prefix (such as /home/<username>/testbuild/) and run it in portable mode so it will look in the installed folder for configs.

Code:
/home/<username>/testbuild/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin -p

If that's too much, use a container or VM and install the new version in that.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
You will need to help me through that, how do I compile it myself?
its much easier to just backup your ~/.xbmc folder before upgrading to kodi via ppa. Going back to gotham means removing the nightly ppa, restoring your backung and reinstalling gotham.
Besides that, the rest is also not that hard - but you need to backup your .xbmc directory anyways, as both nightly and Gotham use the same directory.

Code:
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
sudo apt-get install libxslt-dev
git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
cd xbmc
./bootstrap
./configure --disable-debug
make -j5
If everything was fine: sudo make install

This will install to /usr/local and you can run the nightly by running: /usr/local/bin/xbmc and the normal ppa by: /usr/bin/xbmc
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well I started the list at the bottom, firstly the dependencies weren't met for xbmc after the first line. Ploughed on nonetheless but it doesn't look like the ./bootstrap command worked either, came up with an error message and wouldn't let me run the next command line either

I may just install Kodi anyway, see what happens when put through proper use
You started the list at the bottom .... I think you should not even try to build xbmc from source if you cannot follow a howto line by line ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
No I meant I started the list in the post above me, not from the bottom, I don't know why I wrote that

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install Kodi as second version0