Distorted audio on all but center channel (video included)
I have been having a problem with my audio on my htpc.

The audio is choppy on all the channels except the center channel. The best way to describe it is like a compression that kicks in and makes the sound sort of stutter. This seems to happen worse when there is dialog on the center channel. I have tried every combination of settings I can think of in the audio menu and nothing seems to work.

This happens with all video files and even if I put a dvd in.

vlc plays everything fine without any problems and I have been using it as an external player with xbmc, but I would rather just use xbmc.

I have my audio running from hdmi on my nvidia card and into my receiver. than out of that into my tv. my receiver indicates its receiving 2ch pcm audio.

receiver yamaha rx-v571
cpu amd 3.5g 8 core
8 gb of ram
geforce gtx-750 ti
5.1 setup

here is a vid.. (sorry about the quality) you can hear the cut outs when there is dialog..the mic on my phone is pointed towards my rear channel.

Describe your audio setup, what is plugged into where?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
and post one of your favorite debuglogs
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
What makes me wonder is, that you use Direct-Sound for everything and also 5.1 layout. Retry with WASAPI.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Moved the thread to Windows support, I think you might want to look at this thread as well: Windows - HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
I would use wasapi but it dosent allow me to hear other sounds while running a movie for the kids on my second monitor. Also it dosent make a quality difference in my case its just louder. I use the 5.1 layout because i have a 5.1 system, but i have tried all the otheroptions just for trouble shooting.

Ill look into the debug log.. i havent researched those yet.

(2014-08-25, 08:33)nickr Wrote: Describe your audio setup, what is plugged into where?

Ok so my graphics card is feeding my yamaha reciever and passing the audio there...than the reciever passes the video on to my tv.

One strange thing is that my tv is listed as the audio device in windows. If i turn my tv off and look on monitor #2 than it shows my yamaha reciever. For a while i thought that might have something to do with my issue. But than i found out vlc runs everything flawlessly so i figured it was a software problem or settings issue.
(2014-08-25, 09:39)Kib Wrote: Moved the thread to Windows support, I think you might want to look at this thread as well: Windows - HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)

This is helpful..and it suggests i have a problem because my tv is listed in devices and not my avr. If i turn off my tv and than my avr is listed the sound issue is still there. But ill study this. Thanks
Some AVR's pass through the TV EDID, and it is switchable in the AVR. Just something to look for.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Do you get the same problem with the devices set to WASAPI? also when set to WASAPI what does the AVR get?
(2014-08-25, 16:53)jjd-uk Wrote: Do you get the same problem with the devices set to WASAPI? also when set to WASAPI what does the AVR get?

when set to wasapi the avr recieves pcm @ 48khz instead of 44khz with directsound. the sound is improved and louder. but i still get this cutting out on my front left and right and rear left and right every time the center channel is producing sound.
(2014-08-25, 11:42)nickr Wrote: Some AVR's pass through the TV EDID, and it is switchable in the AVR. Just something to look for.

unfortunately my receiver doesn't have any options for this.

what it does have is audio output amp (set to on) and hdmi tv out (set to off)

It seems that I am definitely having a edid problem and I am seeing lots of people with Yamaha receivers having the same issue of the tv reporting under sound devices.

I just wish I knew why vlc isn't having a problem and only my beloved xbmc is Sad
Seeing your TV reported instead of the AVR is not necessarily a sign of a problem, just an indication that your AVR settings might need investigation (I probably need to word that bit of the Troubleshooting guide a bit better).

Some AVR's will merge their capabilities and those of the TV together and report back to the HTPC these merged capabilities via EDID, when sending the merged EDID each manufacturer seems to do their own thing, so sometimes the AVR will be reported and sometimes the TV. Since there is no standardise way of telling what you should have, it's sometimes it's necessary to check the AVR settings, however as long as the number of channels and formats reported seem sane then there's usually nothing to worry about even if the TV name is shown on the PC rather than the AVR.

What type of audio does the video files contain? use MediaInfo if not sure.

Could you set WASAPI as audio and passthrough device, enable debug logging and play a file (see log_file for how). Testing with WASAPI will eliminate a number of variables that Directsound would introduce, so it might be easier to spot any issue within XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Distorted audio on all but center channel (video included)0