XBMC HPTC AND HUB?
Hey Guys,

HungryThirstyDead here, and this is my first post on the forums. I have been using XBMC for quite some time now, and recently I have been thinking of building an HPTC. I was just wondering whether I could make a XBMC HPTC that is also a connection hub. What I mean is, basically the HPTC can have other HDMI cables and Component cables plugged in, and I would be able to select what I would like to access through the XBMC menu. This would be great for access of my PS3 and PS4, and I was just wondering if this was possible?

Thanks in advance

- HungryThirstyDead
Well a HTPC (Home Theatre Personal Computer) cannot replace a good AVR (Audio/Video Receiver) period. You will need to factor the cost of the AVR into your solution. Without knowing what you wish to use the HTPC for, we can't help you further.
You can certainly buy motherboards that have HDMI inputs as well as outputs. I'm not aware of a method within XBMC that would allow you to switch inputs though.

This is generally an area which is covered by your AVR.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
The short - and to be honest long - answer is no. It isn't possible.

You may find that you can achieve what you want with an AVR (i.e. an HDMI AV Receiver/Amplifier) which can be remotely controlled via XBMC (many AVRs now have Ethernet control and some older ones had RS232)? However once you have switched away from XBMC you'd no-longer see the User Interface... To be honest I'd just use an AVR and the remote that comes with it - or a Harmony or similar smart remote.
Cheers. I was just wondering because I am planning on using an apple tv remote, and I was wondering if I could use only it to control the HPTC...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC HPTC AND HUB?1