Android Audio pauses when switching to other app
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie on Android/XBMC so please bear with me.

I have a question concerning XBMC 13.2 for Android:

I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab (P1000) laying around gathering dust and decided to do something useful with it.

Goal
-------
My goal is to make it so that the device boots, then starts XBMC.
I will not use this to play videos, only to play MP3s
From the main menu of XBMC I want to be able to start another Android app (Navigon).
If Navigon is closed, the active screen should display XBMC again.
If I start playing MP3s from XBMC and then switch to Navigon the playback of the MP3s should continue.

Steps done sofar
-------------------------
I rooted the device and installed Cyanogen MOD9 on it.
I installed XBMC 13.2 (ARM) for Android.
I installed Navigon
I copied a bunch of MP3s to the SD card on the device
I installed "Autostart and STAY", configured to start XBMC when mediascan of device is completed.
I installed the Hybrid skin and configured main menu to show Music, Navigon (shortcut to android app) and System.

Current state
-------------------
At this point when I boot the device it starts up, scans the mediacard and automatically starts XBMC
Everything in XBMC works fine, music library is filled and playing MP3s goes flawless.
Navigon works flawless as well.
Quitting Navigon shows XBMC again.

Issue
--------
When starting playing MP3's on XBMC the music starts playing
When during playback I start Navigon (or run/switch to another app) that app starts but music stops playing.
When switching back to XBMC I can see that music playback is paused.

I tested a couple of other Android devices (Samsung S5, Nexus). In those tests the playback is also paused when XBMC loses focus (not running on foreground) so it seems it is by design that XBMC pauses playback when not running in foreground.

I went through all settings in the GUI but cannot find anything which made a difference in the described behavior.

I went through the threads on the forum and wiki about advancedsettings.xml / using external players but can't wrap my head around it..

So.... my question remains:

Is there a setting (for example in advancedsettings.xml of somewhere else) which stops XBMC Android from pausing the playback when it is running in the background?

Any help is appreciated Smile
current it's not supported. this may change in the future. still being discussed
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
OK, thanks for the swift and clear reply Smile
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5189

No real resistance there, so I guess it will be in for Kodi.
Very good news....

(2014-08-25, 13:17)Koying Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5189

No real resistance there, so I guess it will be in for Kodi.
Same issues here, but my newest phone offered a workaround. LG Optimus on 4.4 i believe. LG's Q Slide app allows for picture in picture app usage. Like Windows desktop windows. Little inconvenient but im posting now with xbmc Pandora still running behind chrome's little window. Fyi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio pauses when switching to other app0