Linux Intel Celeron G1840 for FullSBS / Framepacked, etc..
Hi, I'm looking into upgrading my OpenElec machine and was wondering if a cheap Haswell Celeron will be sufficient in decoding 3840x1080 or 1920x2160 (or framepacked 1920x2205). Or even 4K video (3840x2160)? My current AMD E-350 can't handle that.

http://ark.intel.com/de/products/80800/

Since the Intel NUC is capable and it's fastest is only a 1.8GHz DualCore i5 I was wondering if the IGP might do a difference or if the Celeron Gs IGP is just as capable in decoding 3D HD or 4K video?

Thank you!
This may interest you
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=202790

so basically dont buy anything till the refresh NUC comes out but that I guess wont be till end of september...just made that last part up lol

Gigabyte do an i7 model, maybe look into that to
The current Haswell Celeron 2955U (I was using a Chromebox) will decode and output 2160/24-30p 4K H264 stuff over HDMI. This was connected to a Sony 4K UHD set. I only tested a few clips but it was VAAPI decoding and CPUs were both sitting at quite low figures. I haven't tested anything other than HSBS 3D.
Thank you. Although FSBS or above might be a difference if the video decoder in the Intel IGP it can't handle that resolution well enough.

The new NUCs do look promising but I was more looking into a cheap upgrade of my current system. I would only need the mentioned Celeron G1840 CPU and one simple 1150 Mini ITX Board which is roughly 80€
I didn't know everything in XBMC could run that fast... the speed improvements coming from an AMD E-350 compared to the Intel Haswel Celeron G1840 are enormous. Full-SBS and 2160p Files I tested do run cooled passively and with <10% CPU usage. Awesome! And the video looks better somehow ... it's probably my imagination but I was thinking it repeatedly yesterday.

The only down-side: Every hour or so the video crashes and XBMC (current OpenElec frezes) ... but the temperatures at still around 35°C. Does anyone know what it might be? I did set up all C-Stage related settings (C6/C7) quiet aggressively towards energy-savings on my mainboard (ASRock B85M-ITX v2.1) and read this might cause some problems.
(2014-09-02, 11:43)meka Wrote: I didn't know everything in XBMC could run that fast... the speed improvements coming from an AMD E-350 compared to the Intel Haswel Celeron G1840 are enormous. Full-SBS and 2160p Files I tested do run cooled passively and with <10% CPU usage. Awesome! And the video looks better somehow ... it's probably my imagination but I was thinking it repeatedly yesterday.

The only down-side: Every hour or so the video crashes and XBMC (current OpenElec frezes) ... but the temperatures at still around 35°C. Does anyone know what it might be? I did set up all C-Stage related settings (C6/C7) quiet aggressively towards energy-savings on my mainboard (ASRock B85M-ITX v2.1) and read this might cause some problems.

Are you running OpenElec, another Linux distro or Windows. Interested in how the FSBS is configured. I may want to play some FSBS on the Sony 4K set I mentioned earlier - which will accept a 24p Frame Packed input.
In SandyBridge/IvyBridge full framepacked 3D HD required at least an i3. I don't know if Haswell has changed that. Usually the way to know is to look in Intel ARK and see if the CPU says "Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology" under the graphics specification. I don't see that for the G1840 but it's there for the i3-4130 so I suspect it's the same.
(2014-09-02, 17:35)Dougie Fresh Wrote: In SandyBridge/IvyBridge full framepacked 3D HD required at least an i3. I don't know if Haswell has changed that. Usually the way to know is to look in Intel ARK and see if the CPU says "Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology" under the graphics specification. I don't see that for the G1840 but it's there for the i3-4130 so I suspect it's the same.

I was never sure if the InTru 3D was for MVC decoding or Frame Packed output - which are two distinct requirements - or both.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Celeron G1840 for FullSBS / Framepacked, etc..0